Options

DSS#69 c&c appreciated

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited February 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, I got stuck on one idea for this challenge, and I still have one more day to try and get it, but unfortunately with the near 2 ft of snow we received, my subject has been MIA! So, I shot this today, and kinda like it, wondering what anyone else thinks.....

Favorite Pasttime Activity
1179555779_Gijjm-M.jpg
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited February 6, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    Well, I got stuck on one idea for this challenge, and I still have one more day to try and get it, but unfortunately with the near 2 ft of snow we received, my subject has been MIA! So, I shot this today, and kinda like it, wondering what anyone else thinks.....

Like the concept but wonder if another perspective or focal point might work better? Brainstorming: Top of a head bent down over paper and markers? Coloring on a blank piece of paper so the eye focuses on the activity rather than the figures on the paper? Showing more of the markers in the lower right corner of the frame? Fun tights!
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    ic4u wrote: »

Like the concept but wonder if another perspective or focal point might work better? Brainstorming: Top of a head bent down over paper and markers? Coloring on a blank piece of paper so the eye focuses on the activity rather than the figures on the paper? Showing more of the markers in the lower right corner of the frame? Fun tights!

Good thoughts....here are 2 more from this particular shoot, different focal points, any of these better?

1179685878_zH9hD-M.jpg

1179685811_iWjNQ-M.jpg
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited February 6, 2011
    Good thoughts....here are 2 more from this particular shoot, different focal points, any of these better?

I like #3 - perhaps cropped a bit on the left (or darkened in upper left corner) to remove the bit of tan. I like seeing both hands and having the markers in focus. But looking back at the first shot, I like the focus on the action and the unusual framing with the position of the legs. Do you have a version of the first one with more of the markers visible?
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    The markers in front are distracting me a bit... that is probably just me. Do you have any with them on the other side of her?
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Of these 3, I like #2 best.

In the first, it took me a bit to figure out that it was her legs and the page was in between them.

I like the focal point on the coloring and not on the markers.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »

In the first, it took me a bit to figure out that it was her legs and the page was in between them.

15524779-Ti.gif I do like # 2 best... I didn't mention that, sorry.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I agree - of these, I like #2 and then #1 - I could tell right away what #1 was & thought it was cute & a different perspective, but if others don't see it, then maybe it's not the way to go.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    #1 for me. The composition is a bit less predictable.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I also like #1 better. I wish a little more of the markers were visible, but I still like the comp in this one a bit more than the others.

Sherry
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    The markers in front are distracting me a bit... that is probably just me. Do you have any with them on the other side of her?
    Unfortunately not, and ran out of time for a reshoot, thanks for the input Donna!
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »

Thanksthumb.gif
    lkbart wrote: »
    I agree - of these, I like #2 and then #1 - I could tell right away what #1 was & thought it was cute & a different perspective, but if others don't see it, then maybe it's not the way to go.

Those are the two I am trying to decide between, thanks!
    Patti wrote: »
    #1 for me. The composition is a bit less predictable.

I am partial to #1 for this very reason, thanks for pointing it out Patti!
    slpollett wrote: »
    I also like #1 better. I wish a little more of the markers were visible, but I still like the comp in this one a bit more than the others.
    Sherry

Thanks Sherry, appreciate your opinion!
    Karin