Options

Lightroom vs Elements

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited February 7, 2011 in Finishing School
OK, so it looks like my new 7D is goin to force an upgrade to my Elements 7. Im happy with elements but I do not use it fully. I use the tags and I shoot in RAW so the editing is very easy. I don't know squat about the rest of it. I shoot events(equestrian mostly) and am looking to do more artsy stuff in the future.

Do I spend the extra money for lightroom? Business is good enough to handle the extra cost. What am I going to gain?

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    The raw developer module in Lightroom 3 is not only compatible with your 7d, but also a full-featured pro raw module with all the features you would have gotten in Camera Raw in in the full version of Photoshop, plus a few more like Virtual Copies. The Camera Raw you get in Elements is always a stripped-down consumer version.

Of course you also get the Lightroom Library module, which is much more powerful than the Organizer in the current Elements. I haven't done bulk editing in Elements but I have to think that it's going to be a lot easier and faster in Lightroom, which makes it easy to sync corrections and metadata across hundreds of images.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    Thanks colourbox.

Anybody else have insight on Lightroom vs Elements?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    If you spend a lot of time processing photos, Lightroom will change your life. SO much faster.
  • Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I don't consider this a "vs" comparison. I use both. LR for the organization, and developing capabilities. Elements for some other things like making the annual Christmas card and such.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    I don't consider this a "vs" comparison. I use both. LR for the organization, and developing capabilities. Elements for some other things like making the annual Christmas card and such.

Interesting, I only use Elements for organization and processing. So I guess you are saying that for what I use Elements for LR is much better.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Are you MAC or PC?

I use MAC and have Aperture and PSE 9. I use Aperture the most and for photos requiring that little extra touch, I go to PSE.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    I'm a PC, Laughing.gif, sounds like that commercial.