New Canon 200-400 f/4 -- with 1.4x build in

2»

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 7, 2011
    This is a game changer for the safari crowd. nod.gif
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    it will be at least 7k, maybe 8k in price.

these lenses are not for weekend warriors. they are for either A) rich folk. B) serious/professional photogs C) A+B
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    I dont understand it, why not just release a 200-400 f4, since people already own the 1.4 and 2x extenders? or better yet, combine it all and make it a 300-500 f4, that you would be able to attach the 1.4 & 2x to? (for the same pricerolleyes1.gif)

When you engage the 1.4x it is no longer f/4 of course.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    andy wrote: »
    if it's as good as it sounds, i'd much rather have the tcon built-in - no lens changing required! This could be a killer lens.

Want.

bingo!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    If it's as good as it sounds, I'd MUCH rather have the tcon built-in - no lens changing required! This could be a killer lens.

Want.

Absolutely.

There is an opportunity for the built-in teleconverter to be optically designed just for this lens. It could be better image quality than the lens plus a more universal teleconverter. Add in the environmental benefits (no dust migration during the change) and the speed (no mechanical coupling/decoupling) and this makes a lot of sense indeed.

I do suspect that this will be a lens designed for rental/lease and potentially "very" pricey.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    The 100-400 was a bargain price, but every motorsports photographer I know says to avoid that lens. The AF speed and accuracy just won't cut it for motorsports. If this 200-400/4 is going to be in the $6-8k range it better have lightening fast AF, on par with the super tele primes, as well as great image quality.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • pthpth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Based on the pictures it has the focus preset goodies like the 400mm f/2.8 L, which would lead me to believe that it would have excellent focus speeds (and a very high price tag).
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    This is a game changer for the safari crowd. nod.gif
    Have to agree, Kdog.
    How many posts have we read about whether the 100-400 would suffice for a safari trip. Of course, the new lens doesn't seem that expensive to someone who manages numerous trips to the safari lodge a year! Lol

What criteria I'd be looking for is:
    Weight
    Quality @ 560
    Bokah @ 5.6
    Focus speed (I suspect it is excellent) at that high price
    Guessing $8799

Dream lens for me if it weighs less than my 500 f4 IS and similar quality.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    From the review:
    While many are asking me if the 200-400 is the upgrade for the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens, and while I expect that the 200-400 L will be a significant upgrade from the 100-400 L in all ways, I do not see these two lenses being in the same class - in size, weight, image quality - or price.

Price first. Being a super-telephoto lens with high-grade specs, I fully expect the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM Ext 1.4x Lens to wear a super-high price tag. Hitting the buy button on the similarly-spec'd Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S VR II Lens reveals the USA version currently selling for $6,800. With the built-in extender, I would not be surprised to see the Canon 200-400 L selling for $7,500 or $8,000. And with the announced-at-the-same-time Canon EF 500mm f/4 IS L USM Lens arriving with a $9,500 price tag, I am perhaps being conservative with that estimate.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 27, 2011
    From the review:

That's pretty much the same analysis and conclusion I posted earlier in this thread.
    My guess is this lens will be at least $8K. It is apparent that Canon is finally starting to price like Nikon. The new Canon 500 II is $9K, which is $500 higher than the current Nikon 500.

There's no way this lens is going to be thousands less than the Canon 500 II. The Nikon 200-400 is almost $7K. The Canon is a newer design plus, it has the integrated TC. So add $500 for that, and the $500 over the Nikon price because it's a newer design, and you have $1K over the Nikon price and that makes the Canon 200-400 at $8K. Minimum.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    That's pretty much the same analysis and conclusion I posted earlier in this thread.

Yep, that's why I posted it.