Options

SLIK U212 Tripod opinions

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited February 13, 2011 in Accessories
Hello all -

I came a across what seems to be a good deal on a SLIK Universal U-212 tripod - does anyone have this model or know anything about it? I can get it for $25 and it seems like a good deal as B&H has it for $129. My tripod is broken and I dont have anything right now and having just bought my 60D I dont have funds to buy another large purchase.

Here is the B&H link -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/48712-REG/Slik_612_212_U212_Tripod.html

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    For $25 it is a good deal......that was my 1st pod over 30yrs ago......they are light weight and you should not use with a large heavy lens, or at least I would not.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    Awesome - I just need something until I can fund a new one :)

I dont think that I would be poding anything over a 135mm lens so all should be good :)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    after a bit of thought here - I understand that I am buying a $25 tripod - since that was your first pod, would it be capable of shooting at the beach or would the wind make it useless? Just curious is all :)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    it could be used at the beach...all depends on how high the winds......the Ks winds were tough to use mine with at times...I shot hundreds of weddings with mine before moving on. Sand bags off the bottom of the center column can truly help....any tripod.........sand bag can be a canvas one made specifially as that or what I now use is a walmart 99 cent bag...one of those blk / green walmart bags.....I also have a couple of smaller bags from family video......a simple plastic grocery bag will work also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I've learned the hard way that you should never buy a cheap tripod, you end up regretting the purchase and wishing you had bought the real deal. But Art's right: at $25 you can't go wrong!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I got mine 25 years ago and I still have it. I'd say go for it considering your cost is only $25, however, I'd advise against using it for long exposure under windy conditions. Even when all the knobs and levers are tightened, there's still some movement possible with the head. The legs also flex when fully extended.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    thank you all for the advice - I really appreciate it :)
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Sandbags are great stabilizers...
    Art Scott wrote: »
    it could be used at the beach...all depends on how high the winds......the Ks winds were tough to use mine with at times...I shot hundreds of weddings with mine before moving on. Sand bags off the bottom of the center column can truly help....any tripod.........sand bag can be a canvas one made specifially as that or what I now use is a walmart 99 cent bag...one of those blk / green walmart bags.....I also have a couple of smaller bags from family video......a simple plastic grocery bag will work also.

As long as you don't overload the tripod, hanging a sandbag beneath it will certainly help to stabilize the pod. However, I make one small, but important, modification to a "sandbag"... I don't use sand but, rather fill the bag with pea gravel. It is heavier than sand but, most importantly won't mess up your camera/lens. I try to keep my gear away from sand as much as possible.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    As long as you don't overload the tripod, hanging a sandbag beneath it will certainly help to stabilize the pod. However, I make one small, but important, modification to a "sandbag"... I don't use sand but, rather fill the bag with pea gravel. It is heavier than sand but, most importantly won't mess up your camera/lens. I try to keep my gear away from sand as much as possible.

I agree here ...totally....I actually use what ever is at hand, usually rocks ....if I am in a place that it is only sand and nothing else then I use sand but I fill the bag with what amount I need then clean my hands before touching anything else...i always have some sort of hand cleaner and water with me and rags to wipe them clean......