Ha, I knew Canon L lenses weren't invincible!

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited February 9, 2011 in Cameras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHQ5lXZGTo

Too bad, I wonder Nikon's stand up?

Probably not any better. :rolleyes

Comments

• studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I suspect that an L lens will generally break more easily in a fall than a cheap plastic kit lens. It's a case of that bigger they are the harder they fall.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 7, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    I suspect that an L lens will generally break more easily in a fall than a cheap plastic kit lens. It's a case of that bigger they are the harder they fall.

Nope. The Canon "L" lenses are the best construction and will withstand much more abuse than the consumer and prosumer lenses. In particular the consumer lenses with a plastic mount will snap off just bumping them against a door jamb or similar.

Likewise, the Nikkor "Gold Ring" lenses are tough and the best Minolta/Sony, Pentax and Olypmus and ... pretty much the best lenses from anybody, are generally very well built and can take some rough handling.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 8, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Nope. The Canon "L" lenses are the best construction and will withstand much more abuse than the consumer and prosumer lenses. In particular the consumer lenses with a plastic mount will snap off just bumping them against a door jamb or similar.

Likewise, the Nikkor "Gold Ring" lenses are tough and the best Minolta/Sony, Pentax and Olypmus and ... pretty much the best lenses from anybody, are generally very well built and can take some rough handling.

There's a difference between rough handling, and dropping onto concrete though. An L lens like the 24-70 weighs about 5 times as much as a kit lens like the 18-55, therefore the impact when it hits the ground has 5 times the force. To put it another way, dropping the 24-70 4 feet, would have the same impact as dropping an 18-55 lens 20 feet.

Of course, the L lens has better construction, which may mitigate things a bit, but the main parts are still made of the same material, glass.

At a wedding a while back I dropped my sigma 30mm 1.4 onto concrete steps, from about 4 foot. That lens is about half way in-between as it is about twice as heavy as the kit lens. The lens cap wasn't on and the impact was on the edge by the filter thread. The paint was slightly chipped, but the lens survived and is still in use, unlike the 300mm f4 in the video.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    It was painful to watch the first half of that video...
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    GadgetRick wrote: »

I was crying watching that video. :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited February 8, 2011
    I was crying watching that video. :cry

At least it wasn't the 2.8!
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    There's a difference between rough handling, and dropping onto concrete though. An L lens like the 24-70 weighs about 5 times as much as a kit lens like the 18-55, therefore the impact when it hits the ground has 5 times the force. To put it another way, dropping the 24-70 4 feet, would have the same impact as dropping an 18-55 lens 20 feet.

Of course, the L lens has better construction, which may mitigate things a bit, but the main parts are still made of the same material, glass.

At a wedding a while back I dropped my sigma 30mm 1.4 onto concrete steps, from about 4 foot. That lens is about half way in-between as it is about twice as heavy as the kit lens. The lens cap wasn't on and the impact was on the edge by the filter thread. The paint was slightly chipped, but the lens survived and is still in use, unlike the 300mm f4 in the video.

I concur, and to add. All it takes is some cheap parts or a manufacturer to cut some corners to ruin it a otherwise well built product (not saying it;s an issue here). Noticed the element inside that broke and AF rolleyes1.gif. Those are two things you cannot pick up a lens and say, " this AF feels solid" or " the elements inside are durable as the outside"
    The professional camera equipment is NOT designed for neglect and abuse. Just some rough handling and then some.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    GadgetRick wrote: »

The part with the hammer was most excruciating. :cry