Needing everyones help once more.

RagonRagon Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited February 8, 2011 in Cameras
I currently have a Canon 1D MKii and a Canon 1Ds MKii. I need help deciding if I should just buy a HD video camcorder or sell the 1Ds for a 5D MKii. Does anyone have any input on this matter?? The 1D is used for sports and the 1Ds is used for everything else, ie portraits, landscapes and so on. I love the build of these cameras and don't want to regret the change over if I do decide to get the 5D. Thank you all for you help.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    pERSONALLY i WOULD nevr WANT MY VIDEO CAM AND MY STILL CAM TO BE THE SAME CAM...kEEP iT SEPARATE
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    It greatly depends upon your video application. Video dSLR cameras do a fine job with indie style video, but they are poor for long format video. For instance, the Canon 5D MKII will not record more than around 12 minutes continuously at the highest settings of 1080p. If you are hoping to record an entire wedding ceremony, that's not very useful.

If you are shooting a lot of short segments and want to do "Hollywood" editing on the computer and if you also want the benefits of large aperture primes and zooms to help separate subject/background, the 5D MKII will rival other much more expensive video acquisition systems.

The cameras that you have are still extremely serviceable for still photography and their AF systems are still some of the best in the photographic world.

I purchased a 5D MKII to use specifically for wedding formals and portrait photography. I've used it very little for video work, where I still mostly desire a conventional video camcorder. I did recently purchase a Canon Vixia HF S11 for my traditional video as well as HD video needs. The Vixia will also do the occasional 8MPix "snapshot", although I greatly prefer a dSLR for anything serious.

I'm afraid that my recommendation would have to be twofold:

A video dSLR for indie/Hollywood and occasional video use, as well as some traditional photography. (The Canon 5D MKII is not so suited for sports applications, for instance.)

A high-end consumer/prosumer camcorder for long format HD video acquisition.

Understand too that a video acquisition device is only the start of the journey for video production. You will need a "very" fast computer to process and edit HD video, I recommend at least a quad-core Intel with plenty of RAM and very large and fast hard-drives.

Video editing software is also required for any serious video production. The stuff that comes with some computers or that comes bundled with the camcorder/video dSLR is just not capable.

You will also need appropriate microphones for your application. The built-in microphone of the 5D MKII is pretty bad. The Vixia's is only a little better. I recommend a short shotgun "and" a wireless microphone system, and a filed mixer if you want to record audio into the camera. Also, make certain that you have the latest firmware installed as it affects audio acquisition.

You may also need some additional accessories in order to make your production feasible but at least the above should get you started.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RagonRagon Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Ziggy - Thank you, you're always full of information down to the tiniest detail. I have the i7 Quad Core 2.9GHz with 8G RAM and Final Cut Pro. I was leaning towards the Canon XH-A1S 3CCD HDV, any thoughts on that? DO you think that I should boost the RAM as well?
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    pERSONALLY i WOULD nevr WANT MY VIDEO CAM AND MY STILL CAM TO BE THE SAME CAM...kEEP iT SEPARATE

Interesting CAPS :)
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Ragon wrote: »
    Ziggy - Thank you, you're always full of information down to the tiniest detail. I have the i7 Quad Core 2.9GHz with 8G RAM and Final Cut Pro. I was leaning towards the Canon XH-A1S 3CCD HDV, any thoughts on that? DO you think that I should boost the RAM as well?

The XHA1 is quite dated, you might be better off with the Panasonic HMC150 or a similar model, recording to memory cards rather than tape. For video DSLY, the 550d is a very good option at a bargain price, and the GH2 is also apparently very good.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    Ragon wrote: »

An excellent professional grade camcorder. thumb.gif

No "rolling shutter" issues like the Vixia and 5D MKII. Extensive production controls for both video and audio. XLR inputs. Killer DV acquisition option (for standard DVD productions).

I do recommend an additional tapeless system for redundancy and safety/security, as well as speeding up production.

Since the XH-A1S has a fixed zoom lens, you might also consider a 35mm DOF adapter to allow those dreamy shallow DOF captures if needed.

An external microphone and lighting system is still indicated for the XH-A1S.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • smuglysmugly Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I am seriously looking at Panasonic's ag-af100. Looks very nice. Kinda seems like competition for the Red line? Can use all your current lens!
    http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/af100/