Comments and feedback for a newbie

Tom AbbottTom Abbott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
edited February 8, 2011 in Landscapes
C&C welcome. Picture taken in Balboa Park in San Diego. I've tried to combine several elements. I would love to get the water clearer, but the pond always seems to be murky. Thanks for looking!

5423838210_1a04bb72b5.jpg
Carp and Water Lilies by Thomas N. Abbott, on Flickr

Comments

• bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I bet San Diego was gorgeous today!

I like the elements a lot, but I wish they would pop a bit more. I think you are probably right -- clear water would help. Can't use a polarizer, or you lose the trees. Hmmm....
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Tom AbbottTom Abbott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. I did use a CPL on this one, but even with the filter I could not get a satisfying rendition of the water. I agree about "pop". I'm glad for the water lilies in this regard, as they provide the only real pop in the entire frame. Fortunately, this area is easily accessible and I can try to go back at different times of day to see whether the conditions change.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Hey Tom I love this shot as it is! Good call with the square format. I think that really emphasizes the harmony in the different elements here.

I also like the toning you did in your processing.
  • bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    You know, I think there are some orange koi in that pond. That might give you a little more pop. Just ask them nice, I'm sure they'll pose. ;)
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Tom AbbottTom Abbott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Schmoo: thanks. I did very little processing. I developed the film, though. Otherwise, I scanned it straight and used PS solely to save as JPG for uploading to Flickr. I'm still learning what I like as far as post-processing film.

Bbjones: the orange koi is a good idea! I'm thinking of revisiting this spot at an earlier time of day and there should be plenty of opportunities to take the exposure when the orange koi are closer to the surface. Thanks for the input!
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Great composition and the murky water adds an ethereal feel to it.