First Attempt at portrait clean up have no idea what I am doing.....

jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
edited February 9, 2011 in People
I normally do sports photos little more action though this was fun. I actually held a reflector for a friend of mine while he did a photo shot of my daughter. Every once in a while I could get a shot or two of my own in without creating to many problems. Then I started messing around with touch up. Which I have never done or known you could do. For sports I take the shot and send it to the paper usually some cropping and that is about it. Thanks for your comments the good the bad and the ugly. I know that some of you really helped me on my snow photos back in December.

1181139762_nWL2w-X2.jpg

1181139706_yNkz5-X2.jpg

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    She is a very pretty young lady. It really shows in one but a lot of technical issues with that shot.
    I really like two....except for the windy day hair....not much you can do with that unfortunately.

Hard to tell but I am guessing her skin is pretty good to begin with so does not need much work....

1 looks like it was taken pretty dark. I don't really want to butcher the photo with critique. Maybe treat it like a work in progress and go out and take some more shots with just you and your daughter on a less windy day in nice evening light.
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    She is a very pretty young lady. It really shows in one but a lot of technical issues with that shot.
    I really like two....except for the windy day hair....not much you can do with that unfortunately.

Hard to tell but I am guessing her skin is pretty good to begin with so does not need much work....

1 looks like it was taken pretty dark. I don't really want to butcher the photo with critique. Maybe treat it like a work in progress and go out and take some more shots with just you and your daughter on a less windy day in nice evening light.

Thanks for the comments. I totally understand . I could give you a lot of excuses, no flash taking shots in between trying not to get in the way. The light was actually too harsh to be doing this in my opinion though that was the time that was available. The shadows and wind. The bottom line I need to do some more work with location and timing as well as the use of flash. Number 1 I actually yellowed the photo I liked the look it gave.
    Honestly, it is okay to butcher the photo, it is part of the learning curve and why I posted in the first place.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    even with the issues on #1, I like the bones of the shot..her face is well framed and her eyes/expression draw me in. #2 not so much
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    even with the issues on #1, I like the bones of the shot..her face is well framed and her eyes/expression draw me in. #2 not so much
    Thanks
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    great shots. Keep shooting!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX