Options

Use LR lens correction on Import?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited February 8, 2011 in Finishing School
I know that Lightroom has decent Lens Distortion correction built in. Is it a good idea to enable this on import so that all images have an automatic correction applied before I start editing?

I've searched around and can't seem to find any consensus on this.

Thanks!
Rhuarc

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    I see no reason not to allow this, at least for prime lens. It is metadata, so you can always alter it if desired. Not so sure about zooms as much, since the correction is a function of focal length.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    I mostly shoot with zooms and I have automatic lens detection and correction on by default. The differences are barely noticeable except at wide angles. For really problematic lens distortion, I prefer the Photoshop lens correction filter.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Correcting on import is a natural idea if you do a lot of work with straight lines, or if your lens has more vignetting or CA than you'd like.

However, according to reports on other forums, if you apply a lot of local adjustments, having that additional rendering layer of lens correction can slow down the program. I think I've seen that myself, so I apply lens correction on an as-needed basis.