5D m2 Auto ISO question

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited February 9, 2011 in Cameras
To anybody who has a 5D m2 (or probably just about any canon), I have a question.

Does auto ISO not work on manual mode? For some reason I don't seem to see it working.

What I'd like to be able to do for example, is to say that I know I want to shoot at f/2.8, and I need my shutter speed to be at least 1/1000 of a second. If that still isn't enough for proper exposure, increase the ISO.

I would have almost thought that Manual + Auto ISO would do that.
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    hmm, looks like I found my answer after all. It doesn't work that way on the 5D mark 2. Fixed at 400 ISO. Guess the 7D and such have that feature.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Or just get a Nikon iloveyou.gif
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »

I've got a D700 Rental with a 24-70 f/2.8 coming on Thursday. Its going up cage match style against my 5D m2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 9, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »

I believe that Pentax was the first to get "Auto-ISO" working the way most users would like it to work. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 9, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    hmm, looks like I found my answer after all. It doesn't work that way on the 5D mark 2. Fixed at 400 ISO. Guess the 7D and such have that feature.

Yes, "Auto-ISO" on the 5D MKII is pretty much limited to Av mode, and it's not as useful the way it's implemented on the 5D MKII as I would like.

Perhaps the 5D MKIII will have a correct implementation?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    It works well on my 550d in manual mode. One thing to mention is that on models like the 550d where ISO only goes up in whole stops, the auto ISO mode accesses in-between ISO levels such as 320 etc. That's really handy for video.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    I've got a D700 Rental with a 24-70 f/2.8 coming on Thursday. Its going up cage match style against my 5D m2

You know I tried the 5D2 a week ago, and I came to the conclusion that a lot of things about the two cameras are way over stated!

First is the ISO, the 5D2 has a little more chroma noise than the D700 but really IMO it's just as good! And I don't just mean noise free, but it's plenty sharp at 6400 ISO.

AF, in low light the 5D2 is fast and accurate even with the outer AF points. I'd even say the Canon is faster AF than Nikon :cry. (Canon lenses have much faster AF than Nikon's IMO) Nikon just has more options, and AF points extend further out from the middle. Making it a more versatile.

Resolution, honestly 21MP really isn't that much more than 12MP in terms of absolute resolution. I can zoom/crop maybe 30% more in my photos, that's it. Bring the right lens, and this becomes a moot point for me.

HD video, this is what the 5D2 really has it going for them imo, I didn't use it though. So, I can't comment on it.

Ergonomics, this is ultimately a personal opinion, but the D700 wins hands down here. I did like how the 5D2 had a little bigger and rounder grip. But the buttons were so flushed with the body, I felt like I had to have 5 year old sized fingers to use them. I didn't get into how to do much customizing, I did go through some of the menu system. Looked like the D700 has more options for reprogramming.
    A few options I couldn't find on the 5D2 but am VERY interested (ziggy?) if they exist on the 5D2.
    Can the 5D2 go from evaluate/center weighted to spot quickly and back to evaluate/center weighted? (like a press of a button quick)
    Does it have a option to temporary disable flash without actually turning the flash off?
    How do I change AF pointed on the fly?