Hiking in the Fog

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited February 14, 2011 in Landscapes
So I went on a hike a couple of weeks back and it was super foggy. I love hiking in the fog, I find it so tranquil and relaxing. Got this picture, I was trying to convey that tranquil feeling. Imagine being out in the country on a chilly morning when it is totally silent.

Feedback is welcome, both on technical execution of the photo as well on the accuracy of the feeling I was trying to get across.

1159078710_Y8noy-M.jpg
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I love the mystery and softness of this pig, and most any pic with fog!

It's hard to see what's above those trees, though, and it could by just more hill? But I would have liked to see more foreground since the very bottom of the frame has this hint of a curve.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    I love the mystery and softness of this pig, and most any pic with fog!

It's hard to see what's above those trees, though, and it could by just more hill? But I would have liked to see more foreground since the very bottom of the frame has this hint of a curve.

I think Schmoo called your image a pig ... personally, I like fog images. (joking Schmoo ... I know it's just a typo.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Technically, the including more foreground would have balanced the image better. I think that fog images look much better with a high key execution- I would tweak the slider in Levels to make the image brighter, without blowing the highlights, and adjust the contrast accordingly.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Ha ha, I saw that schmoo called it a pig also. That is too funny!!
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Is the pig in the bushes? I can't see him in all the fog. headscratch.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Technically, the including more foreground would have balanced the image better. I think that fog images look much better with a high key execution- I would tweak the slider in Levels to make the image brighter, without blowing the highlights, and adjust the contrast accordingly.

Thanks! I didn't even understand the term "high key" until I looked it up. I'm going to go back into post and play a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    rolleyes1.gif You guys are hilarious! I make such dum typos all the time, it's embarrassing that I write for a living. :hide

I still like this image, so nyah. :D
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 14, 2011
    Pig photos are great, and fog photos are not bad either. :D

Seriously, I like the feeling your photo conveys. I completely understand what you're saying as I just went on a similar hike not long ago, and the fog and the frost and the silence were just heavenly. I keep wondering what's at the bottom of the picture though - maybe not crop the grass so tightly?

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com