Options

Basketball Portraits

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited February 10, 2011 in Sports
Some samples from a T&I session tonight. First time out with 2 flashes. Each player got a full body shot, a 3/4 shot, and a posed "action" shot....

1182053873_JWGUF-X2.jpg

1182033958_ZCU2t-X2.jpg

1182048764_ubuzN-X2.jpg

1182070031_aRW3v-X2-1.jpg

1182028654_YWhHz-X2.jpg

5DII + 70-200/2.8II (this combo is lethally sharp!!) + EX580II into silver umbrella right + EX430II direct left

full set here.

thanks for looking!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Nice, very nice
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Great for a first try with two strobes. I like 3 and 4, but 1 and 2 seem a little "stiff". Shadows might be a bit much, but I'd buy one if it was my daughter.
    I'd be very interested to know your setup.

Also, how did you get the ball to stick to her hand?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    Thanks. I'm not seeing the stiffness in 1 or 2, but to each his own. In 3 she is dribbling. If you have a specific question about the setup I'd be happy to share. Otherwise the basic setup is posted above and you can check the exif if you want.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    Dribbling! rolleyes1.gifDuh.. The first two were poses so I figured that shot was, also. I didn't notice the setup under the last pic,. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Did you use umbrellas or a diffuser of any type. I haven't done a T&I yet. All my shots are action shots. I am going to do the team photos for the boys and girls teams this summer for a 6'x8' team banner. We haven't decided yet if the setting will be indoors or outdoors.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    5DII + 70-200/2.8II (this combo is lethally sharp!!) + EX580II into silver umbrella right + EX430II direct left
    I missed it too.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    The main flash on the right was bounced off a silver umbrella. The secondary flash on the left was direct. Next time I think I should diffuse it - notice the shadows on the floor - and also bring it around a little more to the front of the player so as to fill/soften the nose shadow.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    I missed it too.

Thanks jpc...
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I like them.. with the exception of 4 & 5. I don't like the weird shadow from the nose... Other than that shadow, hell of a lot better than the freaky a$$ poses our local newspaper tried to push as "legit." lol
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    I agree the nose shadow is a bit harsh, but I was going for a more edgy look. I shot this same team last year and so I wanted to use a distinctly different style. I was inspired by the basketball senior portraits I saw here.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    Sorry, newbie with strobes. Is there a reason to use flash rather than studio lights?
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    MDalby wrote: »
    Sorry, newbie with strobes. Is there a reason to use flash rather than studio lights?

Heh, well, I own the EX430II. I rented the EX580II for $20 for the evening. I do not own studio lights. I think I did alright.

This basketball gig is pretty small potatoes for me, I can't get into it on a bigger scale because my family goes skiing all winter. Town youth Baseball season is my big deal.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    By the way, here is a sample of what I did for this team last year. Just my EX430II shot into my silver umbrella at about 45 degrees to the subject. This time I wanted to create a distinctly different look for this year's photos, as the girls themselves don't look much different!

a0umxi.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    By the way, here is a sample of what I did for this team last year. Just my EX430II shot into my silver umbrella at about 45 degrees to the subject. This time I wanted to create a distinctly different look for this year's photos, as the girls themselves don't look much different!

Great work. Adding that second light made such a huge difference didn't it!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    Heh, well, I own the EX430II. I rented the EX580II for $20 for the evening. I do not own studio lights. I think I did alright.

This basketball gig is pretty small potatoes for me, I can't get into it on a bigger scale because my family goes skiing all winter. Town youth Baseball season is my big deal.

I think you did just fine. Just learning this stuff.

Thanks,

MD
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Great work. Adding that second light made such a huge difference didn't it!

Thanks and yes! It's fun.
    -Jack

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    fairly decent stuff..if they were mine, I would throw moderate vignette on these to draw the eyes the subject bit more.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com