Which processing do you prefer?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in People
These are a couple of photos of Marcus, my nephew, playing at the park. Sun was pretty bright so I tried a couple of ways to work with the flare and shadows through processing. Not sure which I like or if this vintage color treatment works at all.

Would love some opinions before I decide which ones to print for a gift to his mom:

Vintage Color

1182451543_WAvZL-X2.jpg

1182451617_y26Gj-X2.jpg

B&W

1182451899_MKhyv-X2.jpg

1182451131_dRs7u-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I like the Colorized ones better...My only real (weird) nit is the light thru the ear thing. Cute kid, I'm certain his Mom'l be happy with any of these!
    tom wise
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I like the black and white treatment best and the first better than the second. What a nice gift for the mom!

Virginia

Email
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I like the processing in both of the #1 photo, but would have to go with the b/w.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I think you missed on this Alex..not really digging any of them processing aside..just too much lost detail
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I think I prefer B&W too.
    I think you missed on this Alex..not really digging any of them processing aside..just too much lost detail

Daniel... really? I know the BG is lacking detail but it's there where important, like his face. Actually, it's kind of what I like about the shots. I guess will chalk it up to creative difference. ne_nau.gif I do appreciate you feedback though.

My Smug Site
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    +1 on the BW, the color seems a little too yellow in some areas to me.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited February 9, 2011
    to be more pointed..the kid just melts into the background..clothes, hair, hands, etc
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    to be more pointed..the kid just melts into the background..clothes, hair, hands, etc

Hmm... not on my end. Maybe you need some glasses? blbl.gif

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I wasn't going to say anything but since Qarik stuck his neck out I will back him up on these.
    Since the topic was about processing I was going down through the shots hoping to find one that didn't look so blown.
    Really haven't seen anything like this from you....and you know I love your stuff.
    But hey if you like them that is what matters.
    Do you have any other shots from the day for options?

Of the ones posted I would pick the last one.

I will check these again tonight from home on my calibrated monitor.
    edited February 9, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Do you have any other shots from the day for options?

I do... a few. Here is one. But I don't have any of him climbing like the ones above. I often see these flared shots and I like them. Guess that's why I'm stuck on these but maybe these just don't work.

1182734573_n8TmE-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited February 9, 2011
    flare is tough to catch. 1st you have to stop down your aperture to maybe f/8 or smaller or else you get too much light bouncing around the lens and just washes everything out. Then you need to go spot metering and expose for the subject skin for example or else you get the shadow shot. Hi speed synced fill flash may help here. Then you got to post process it carefully to balance things out a bit. It may help to get the sun in the frame "peeking" out of something as well. I haven't really mastered it myself.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    #1 is my favorite here.
    edited February 9, 2011
    There you go, now have the arm he is pointing at the camera be down by his side...:).
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I do... a few. Here is one. But I don't have any of him climbing like the ones above. I often see these flared shots and I like them. Guess that's why I'm stuck on these but maybe these just don't work.

Actually, they do work,
    1. As Zoomer said, if you like them!
    2. I took the liberty the first time (I posted) to DL the first one and look at it in LR (on my good monitor). I desaturated the yellow/buff color and the luminance of that channel and found a iteration I liked. I didn't say anything, cause I didn't want to offend. besides I already mentioned my personal nit with the ear light~
    tom wise
    edited February 9, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    There you go, now have the arm he is pointing at the camera be down by his side...:).

Ha. The hand.... Ugh. I didn't like it. My wife and his mom, on the other hand (pun), do. The other similar shots he is looking away. I thought of cloning his head onto another shot where his hands aren't in the way. May do that and show them it to see if they like it better. It could be that they like this one for his expression and not the hand itself.

Here is another of him and mommy, my wife's younger sister:

1182735330_btHUj-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited February 9, 2011
    So I am looking at them from my good monitor and they are not as blown out looking on this one.
    They do look better.

It is pretty easy to fix the blown out skin on his face in the fourth one.
    Use the clone tool at 20% and darken, soft brush, take a big sample of the darker skin then just feather it into the burnt out area. A couple minutes and good to go.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I like the B&W's initially
    I do love the first color pic you posted afterwards
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • amoncuramoncur Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    The first one is really great. Love the high key look. If you can take care of the light-through-the-ear weirdness you've got a definite winner.