Lightroom Conundrum

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in Finishing School
OK here is the deal..................

I have a folder(call it folder #1) in Lightroom. These are full size jpg. files with adjustments.

I exported these to a folder (call it folder #2) These were re sized for e-mail. The re sized files have all the Lightroom adjustments in the files even when accessed through file finder.

If I export from Lightroom from folder #1 to say CS5 I have a choice of exporting with or without the Lightroom adjustments. If I burn to a DVD the copied / burned DVD images have the Lightroom adjustments. If I access the files in folder #1 through file finder the files do not contain the Lightroom adjustments.

Now the problem: I am trying to burn a DVD with the images (e-mail, and full res) in the appropriate folder. When I select both folders in Lightroom for export to the DVD burner I see all the images mixed together. If I burn the DVD using the Mac from file finder I can segregate the files into the folders but the full res images will not contain the Lightroom adjustments.

Looking for the solution.

Sam

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Images that you want to be viewed outside of Lightroom have to be exported from Lightroom before you can do that. So, the short answer to your question is to export your images from folder #1 to folder #3 as full-size images and then burn the images from folders #2 and #3 to your DVD.

The export process "bakes" the Lightroom settings into the files so that other programs can view them. Inside of Lightroom, Lightroom settings are stored in a database as meta data and are applied dynamically when viewed through Lightroom - they are not built into the image. That's what allows Lightroom to do some of the kinds of things it does.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Thanks, jfriend,

Had to do it the long way. Copy folder to new folder which bakes in the LR adjustments then burned the DVD from the Mac OS. Now I have a DVD with two separate folders rather than having all the images from two folders mixed together.

It is truly amazing what some of the current sophisticated software will and won't do. :D

Sam
    edited February 11, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Thanks, jfriend,

Had to do it the long way. Copy folder to new folder which bakes in the LR adjustments then burned the DVD from the Mac OS. Now I have a DVD with two separate folders rather than having all the images from two folders mixed together.

It is truly amazing what some of the current sophisticated software will and won't do. :D

Sam
    In case you care, you did have to export the image from lightroom in order to back in the changes from lightroom. But once, all the images are exported from lightroom, you could have copied them to the same directory and put them in one directory on the DVD. If you have filename conflicts between the directories, you could have used a rename on one of the exports to make those unique names or when doing the second export, you can export to the same directory as the first and lightroom will ask you what you want to do about filename conflicts.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    jfriend,

I think I understand it. I didn't want the images in one folder. I wanted one set of full res jpg images for printing in one folder, and a set of smaller image files for e-mail in a second folder.

Trying to make it easier for the client to choose the correct file for printing versus e-mail by simply going to the folder with the correct usage description.

Sam
    edited February 11, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    jfriend,

I think I understand it. I didn't want the images in one folder. I wanted one set of full res jpg images for printing in one folder, and a set of smaller image files for e-mail in a second folder.

Trying to make it easier for the client to choose the correct file for printing versus e-mail by simply going to the folder with the correct usage description.

Sam
    OK, I misread your desire. I thought you wanted them all in one folder and couldn't figure out how to make LR do that. Got it now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular