Some candids from last weekend

konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in People
Brought the camera to an event last weekend. Mostly used the 28-105 which would have been fine if I was using a flash, but I decided against that option. C&C welcome

5428028112_62ddb67e6d.jpg

5428025288_0c280f0136.jpg

5428021922_8b0d372a81.jpg

5428017600_60de0ca6e3.jpg

5428015970_9cc70c5d1e.jpg
--- Kono ---
Pentax K-x and assorted lenses

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    beside the content..these need some post processing love. color blance is changing from shot to shot, some are underexposed, last one need straightening, etc

from a content pov, 2 is tosser, you have focus issues in a few, lighting is pretty flat, and frankly thy just aren't extremely compelling wrt to capturing emotion and atmosphere. Sorry if this comes off harsh. Keep practicing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    #3 is a classic!
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    beside the content..these need some post processing love. color blance is changing from shot to shot, some are underexposed, last one need straightening, etc
    from a content pov, 2 is tosser, you have focus issues in a few, lighting is pretty flat, and frankly thy just aren't extremely compelling wrt to capturing emotion and atmosphere. Sorry if this comes off harsh. Keep practicing.

Thanx Qarik - Not harsh, just reality. I was experimenting all night with different options trying to get something I liked.

I noticed I was having difficulty trying to focus in the low light. Unfortunately, not all my lenses are AF. Any hints will be more than welcome.

Still have a lot of learning with Gimp.
    --- Kono ---
    edited February 10, 2011
    #3 is a classic!

Thanx A..V..G - he had been chomping on a DumDum earlier.
    I kind of like the last one too - gotta work on it a little.
    --- Kono ---
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »
    Thanx Qarik - Not harsh, just reality. I was experimenting all night with different options trying to get something I liked.

I noticed I was having difficulty trying to focus in the low light. Unfortunately, not all my lenses are AF. Any hints will be more than welcome.

Still have a lot of learning with Gimp.

Trying to shoot candids with MF is tough..and unless you are very good, i wouldn't recommend it. There are so many other things to worry about when shooting candids like framing cleaner background, looking for the right moments, the right angles, etc..trying capture a fleeting moment with manual focus? Forget about it.

1st of all I would highly recommend a diffused hot shoe flash in TTL for this kind of setting. It will get your exposure much closer to "correct" and really help out your white balance consistency.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Why no flash? You needed it for these. The noise is very evident at your higher ISO.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Not trying to sound snobbish or anything but the Pentax sensor does not handle high ISO very well so I would use an external flash bounced off the ceiling if it's white....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I do candid’s like this all the time and I always get better results when people are not aware of the camera so I know flash can be an intrusion on the element of surprise.<o:p></o:p>
    If that's the f/4.5, I would not bother under these conditions without flash though....<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Capturing moments is usually tough when events are somewhat static compared to perhaps a wedding reception for instance.<o:p></o:p>
    What I do is wait for moments to occur and make sure I'm ready to fire when needed......<o:p></o:p>
    Try the nifty fifty the next time, at 1.8 you'll get far better results...<o:p></o:p>
    On the last shot for instance, you could have gotten the kids engaged in conversation with the background blurred if you were using a 50MM therefore making the shot a bit more interesting....<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Try and remember also, have a clear subject in your shots, composition, light and shadows….<o:p></o:p>
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited February 11, 2011
    I do candid’s like this all the time and I always get better results when people are not aware of the camera so I know flash can be an intrusion on the element of surprise.
    Thanx Rey. This is exactly why I was trying to use the longer lens - I was hoping the camera would compensate for the slow lens - unfortunately it didn't.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Try the nifty fifty the next time, at 1.8 you'll get far better results...
    Yes - I am going to try the nifty fifty.

I'm also considering a used Takumar 135mm/2.5 to help me put some distance between me the subject and camera. Not sure what to get first, this or a flash.
    --- Kono ---
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    A 2.5 would work well in low lighting for sure but the flash would be useful for most low light circumstances.
    Keep in mind though that using flash can be challenging at great distances....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited February 11, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    A 2.5 would work well in low lighting for sure but the flash would be useful for most low light circumstances.
    Keep in mind though that using flash can be challenging at great distances....

Thanx again Rey - I will prioritize my wishlist based on your suggestions. :D

I don't suppose my old vivitar flash (must be almost 10 years old) will work on the K-x.
    --- Kono ---