Book suggestions for CS5

GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in Finishing School
Looking for book suggestions for Photoshop 5.
A little background, I have been an amateur photographer for 30 years. I know my way around most software but I am new to PS. Can anyone suggest a good book to get me headed in the right direction?
Thank you,
Glynn

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    GP Images wrote: »
    Looking for book suggestions for Photoshop 5.
    A little background, I have been an amateur photographer for 30 years. I know my way around most software but I am new to PS. Can anyone suggest a good book to get me headed in the right direction?
    Thank you,
    Glynn

I find this extemely useful. :D
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    I find this extemely useful. :D

This link is useful, but not if you're new to PS, necessarily, as it brings you in, beginning in CS5.

I am in a similar boat, have been a photographer for 40 years, had even been using a basic version of PS for years, but only skimming the surface.

In the past 6 months I have finally had the kind of time I've been needing and wanting to pursue my photography more full-time, and what has been most helpful to me was joining NAPP and subscribing to Scott Kelby's on-line training courses. This has enabled me to tap into such tutorials as CS5 for Beginners - where I finally learned the interface and the tools - wow, what I got away with, knowing nothing, astounds me - and where I have also been learning about layers and masks and cloning, dodging, burning etc. etc. etc. Stuff I should have learned years ago but didn't have time. It's fantastic, and I am in love with photography all over again.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening...
    http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    This link is useful, but not if you're new to PS, necessarily, as it brings you in, beginning in CS5.

Worked for me.

There are so many online resources, all one has to do is look for them.

http://www.peachpit.com/topics/topic.aspx?st=61435

http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/

http://www.thedigitalphotographyconnection.com/PFDP.php

http://www.thelightsright.com/

etc.....
    edited February 10, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »

Glad to hear.

Yeah, lots of stuff out there, sometimes overwhelming, however, because there's so much, and some of it isn't so great, and the whole process can be very time-consuming. Your list is very helpful. Remember, sometimes a beginner doesn't even know what to look for.
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    and what has been most helpful to me was joining NAPP and subscribing to Scott Kelby's on-line training courses.

I agree with this, this has to be one of the best ways to learn photoshop, and it makes learning the really advanced stuff really easy!

I have read some books, and it was always hard to grasp some of the different techniques. I would sit there and read how to do something, try it, then scratch my head, read everything again. For me, it is like trying to learn the art of painting or tuning a guitar from a book.

I started with the Kelby Training videos, but am currently using Lynda.com.

If you really want to learn everything there is to learn about photoshop, and are really commited, then the Deke McClelland "One on One" series at lynda.com is probably the most comprehensive you will ever find. It is three parts, that total over 60 hours of video :wow
    Way more comprehensive then any book, and membership at these places cost $25 a month.
    If your cheap like me, you can watch two hours of video a day, and learn everything in one month for $25 rolleyes1.gif
    Todd - My Photos
    edited February 10, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    I agree with this, this has to be one of the best ways to learn photoshop, and it makes learning the really advanced stuff really easy!

I have read some books, and it was always hard to grasp some of the different techniques. I would sit there and read how to do something, try it, then scratch my head, read everything again. For me, it is like trying to learn the art of painting or tuning a guitar from a book.

I started with the Kelby Training videos, but am currently using Lynda.com.

If you really want to learn everything there is to learn about photoshop, and are really commited, then the Deke McClelland "One on One" series at lynda.com is probably the most comprehensive you will ever find. It is three parts, that total over 60 hours of video :wow
    Way more comprehensive then any book, and membership at these places cost $25 a month.
    If your cheap like me, you can watch two hours of video a day, and learn everything in one month for $25 rolleyes1.gif

ha ha, yeah, there's learning, and then there's absorbing. :D
    edited February 11, 2011
    PS - while I love the video instructions at Kelby, I do keep a small library of books right next to my computer for reference, including Kelby's CS4; CS5; McClelland's one-on-one.

I've also seen Lynda.com and they are very good, but $25/mo adds up to $300/yr; Kelby is $179/yr for NAPP members - and NAPP is also a font of information and tutorials and latest news in and of itself.
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I've also seen Lynda.com and they are very good, but $25/mo adds up to $300/yr; Kelby is $179/yr for NAPP members - and NAPP is also a font of information and tutorials and latest news in and of itself.

What is NAPP? I just looked, and both places are still listed for $25 per month. headscratch.gif
    Todd - My Photos
    edited February 11, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    What is NAPP? I just looked, and both places are still listed for $25 per month. headscratch.gif

Ah - Nat'l Assoc of Photoshop Professionals.

You're right - there's the membership fee for NAPP, and then once you're a member of that, you get a discount for Kelby, so my math is a bit off.
    But as a member of NAPP, you also get discounts on other stuff, like books and workshops, and as mentioned, NAPP has a plethora of tutorials and info.

This works for me for now, for this year, anyway.