Options

San Francisco Exploratorium

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited February 14, 2011 in Landscapes
Stitched from 7 frames. It's not HDR by the way.

1183593523_2FYSW-X3.jpg

Non-Blended version - see post #9 below for explanation.

1184167847_XY4ZP-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    That came out nice.
    How long did that take to put together :).

Is that sarcasm or a real questions? eek7.gif

If it's a real question, not long. I stitched it in PS, which took maybe a minute. Then I adjusted curves a bit, converted a dup layer to b&w and set it below a color layer. Then set the blending mode on the color layer to "color". Imported it back to LR - that took the longest. Then cleaned up a couple dust blobbers and sharpened. VIOLA!

Question... is there a slight color cast? I'm looking at it at work on a non-calibrated monitor and it looks just a tad off. At home it looks fine though.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Real question, I never go that in depth into anything so I just wonder how long things take....I have no patience for spending more than a couple minutes on a photo, unfortunately.

I can't tell on the color, this monitor is *&^T! It looks fine as far as I can tell.

What a great looking spot....we have nothing like that in Boise ha.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    It actually like an oasis in the middle of the city. It's the first time I've seen this end of it. I've been a few times in past, when our daughter was younger, but we only went inside to where they have the science exhibits.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Wow, this really is a stunningly beautiful shot. Excellent detail and clarity. It really looks like a film capture it has so much depth. One thing I dont understand..you said "converted a dup layer to b&w and set it below a color layer. Then set the blending mode on the color layer to "color". I've not heard of setting a dup layer to B/W and changing the blending mode to color, what effect does that result in? the water in your image is absolutely lifelike, did it add contrast to this???
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    You have some awesome, deep blues here that really punch it up. Nice job! The water looks so... liquid (that's a good thing).

Since our foray into the Musée Mécanique I have been doing some Googling on the buildings of the World's Fair in 1915. The Palace of Fine Arts is pretty much the only one from it that's still standing!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Palace-of-fine-arts-1919.jpg
  • Options
    rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Good pano shot, and nice colours and reflection. I think it needs a bit of lens correction or EDIT\TRANSFORM\SKEW as the building are not perpendicular - especially on the right. That's often a problem with panos, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    One thing I dont understand..you said "converted a dup layer to b&w and set it below a color layer. Then set the blending mode on the color layer to "color". I've not heard of setting a dup layer to B/W and changing the blending mode to color, what effect does that result in? the water in your image is absolutely lifelike, did it add contrast to this???

Doug,

What the black & white layer does in add texture and contrast to the image. I find it gives more tonal range to the image. The nice thing it is really simple. The way I do is to create two duplicate layers of the image once I've done all my other processing. I then take the upper most layer and convert it to b&W the same way I would if I wanted it to end up as a monochrome image. Then I take this b&W and move it one layer down, so it's below the color layer. Last, take the color layer and change the blending mode to "color". What this does is that it only uses the color information from this layer, allowing the tones and texture of the b&W to show through. This really gives a lot of depth to photos. You can try it with almost any photo, even people but it doesn't work with all. Sometime it looks odd. One thing to also try is to adjust the opacity of the b&W layer to your liking. I do that often with people photos. Similarly, you can add a mask to the b&W layer and selectively mask in/out the effect of the b&w layer in parts of the image.

Hope that all makes sense. I added the non-blended version of this photo to the OP so you can see the difference. Again, the only change is that I removed the two layers I describe above. Still nice, just doesn't have the same depth.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Doug,

What the black & white layer does in add texture and contrast to the image. I find it gives more tonal range to the image. The nice thing it is really simple. The way I do is to create two duplicate layers of the image once I've done all my other processing. I then take the upper most layer and convert it to b&W the same way I would if I wanted it to end up as a monochrome image. Then I take this b&W and move it one layer down, so it's below the color layer. Last, take the color layer and change the blending mode to "color". What this does is that it only uses the color information from this layer, allowing the tones and texture of the b&W to show through. This really gives a lot of depth to photos. You can try it with almost any photo, even people but it doesn't work with all. Sometime it looks odd. One thing to also try is to adjust the opacity of the b&W layer to your liking. I do that often with people photos. Similarly, you can add a mask to the b&W layer and selectively mask in/out the effect of the b&w layer in parts of the image.

Hope that all makes sense. I added the non-blended version of this photo to the OP so you can see the difference. Again, the only change is that I removed the two layers I describe above. Still nice, just doesn't have the same depth.

clap.gifclapclap.gifthumb.gifthumb Awesome!
  • Options
    Jago-ViGJago-ViG Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    The picture is awesome (first one). Is it me or is it not quite straight though?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Alex,

I need to run out right now but wanted to say thanks for the processing tip!

Looks great and I will play with this technique later.

Sam
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    actually, i like the second one a bit better. the highlights are a bit less harsh...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    That's an awesome pano, Alex. Did you shoot hand-held or use a tripod?
    Doug,

Thanks very much for this tutorial. I can't wait to get home from work tonight and try it out.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Is it me or is it not quite straight though?

Hmm... The horizon is straight, but the buildings are tweaked a little due to the barrel distortion of the lens. I didn't correct for this in post. I may do that.
    That's an awesome pano, Alex. Did you shoot hand-held or use a tripod?

Yes. I shot this hand-held. I pretended to be a giant tripod though so maybe that helped. :D

My Smug Site
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Very well done.

I believe that's the Palace of Fine Art, the Exploritorium is a nondescript industrial box

Excellent work....... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Very well done.

I believe that's the Palace of Fine Art, the Exploritorium is a nondescript industrial box

Excellent work....... thumb.gif

Bingo. But not everyone knows where it is at. It is on the 'other' side of the Exporitorium :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Doug,

Fantastic, thanks for posting the original, I was wondering how it looked before you're B/W layer was added. I will definitely try this, thanks so much for your detailed explaination. It looks like a bunch of other folks will be given it a try too.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Excellent! And you have perfect timing! The Palace of Find Arts has been under repairs and they just completed it a few weeks ago! For the last few years, it was surrounded by scaffolding.
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    I really like the first one. It's very tastefully done. :ivar:ivar

Cheers,