Foggy Lake Hodges "Sunrise"

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited February 14, 2011 in Landscapes
Conditions on Super Bowl Sunday looked great for a sunrise shoot at Lake Hodges (one of my favorite local places to shot), so I flopped out of bed and made my way there nice and early.

Instead of a sunrise, I found a lake shrouded in fog. I have always seemed to miss the heavy fog so I stayed despite feeling like I was smack dab in the middle of a classic 90's slasher movie! (It was CREEPY! :rofl)

1| A Pano at the lake's edge
1181182316_EuFbR-XL.jpg

2| Trail through the trees
1181189483_dRoGY-XL.jpg

3| Some sun broke through the fog and lit the tree trunks
1181193573_wMqqx-XL.jpg

C&C always welcome! :thumb

And just for reference, fellow Dgrinner Shimon (sgonen) was in the area but decided to head up the hill to get above the fog. His shot (last in the recent challenge gallery) makes me pretty jealous I stayed in the fog! (I'm somewhere near the bottom left corner of Shimon's photo but haven't been able to find myself yet! :D)
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    #2 is great, perfect comp and great mood.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Love #2 as well.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Well done, I like to get out in the fog too. It's like a whole new world to capture.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    OMG #2 is a gorgeous shot. you have got to blow this one up for your wall. It is such a storytelling shot, love the path going off into the fog and trees. really a stunning shot.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    2 is def a wall hanger! Looks like it was an amazing morning and kudos for being there to share!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Chris, these are wonderful shots. (And thanks for the link to Shimon's shot--I hadn't seen it in the challenges but it's fabulous.) I agree with everyone about hanging #2 in large size on your wall--it looks like one of those once-in-a-lifetime shots we photographers hope for! The mood, lighting, comp, diagonal lines, S curve and a superb B&W conversion all lined up for you and created a stunning image. Besides all that, it's a shot of a path, which is probably my favorite subject of all! :D

Well done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    2 is amazingly beautiful also like the 3rd one:)
  • ali79ali79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Great work ! my fav is # 2 , great composition
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I love the feel and composition of #2 - that one nails it for me!
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    So that's what I missed ... great shots , love #2. Sorry for not meeting you, I couldn't see where to go and I couldn't find your phone #. Looks like we both got some good shots that morning.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

As soon as I saw the comp for #2 I knew it was the winner of the day. I've got a couple other good shots that need to be processed, but I know none are better than that one. Oddly, it's a shot that I almost didn't take! According to the EXIF for that shot, it was almost an hour and a half after sunrise and most of the fog had started to burn off leaving only a couple small pockets so I almost got in my car to head home. Just before I got in, I decided to take a quick walk down the trail (a trail I've walked a dozen times without finding much interesting) and within a couple minutes I saw this scene. I knew the curves were there in the trail but because of the trees I had never found it to be interesting enough for a sunrise shoot. The fog just made it click!

So happy I didn't get in my car when I first thought about it!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    #1 and #2 are just great. Love the BW treatment. Looks like you had a great time. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    yep, #2 is the winner, all right... print that sucker large and frame it!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011