Challenge 48 - Bike Phone

Wizard1929Wizard1929 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Do you think this might make the cut.

It was a shot of opportunity. I saw this fellow while on my morning walk and shot from a distance of about 50 meters with my trusty point and shoot Dimage G500 which only has a 3X optical zoom. I cropped about 10% to get this result. I know focus is a little soft.

Your opinion please:

Overall concept. (If this one is not good enough for other reasons, should I go back and wait for a repeat opportunity with my Dimage A200?)

Composition. ( I don't have a clue as to what this means.)

I do have another idea, so if this doesn't make it, I will try the other one.

Thanks,

Wiz

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    Not a bad idea but pretty soft and still pretty far away - even with your crop.

Good attempt to catch the action as you saw it, though.

Maybe another try with a little more "posed" subject?? Maybe from ground level looking up at the cyclist on the phone??

Keep in mind these suggestions are from someone who hasn't made it into the top-ten on a photo challenge - you might want to take these ideas with some caution:): ne_nau.gif:):
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    It kind of looks staged. Way too much surrounding area/background.......that doesn't add anything to the shot (composition). Definitely would work better had you filled the frame with the subject....maybe even a head/torso shot. Perhaps more dramatic lighting (early morning/late afternoon) would also add something. Hard to even tell what he's doing from that far away. Probably not making the cut..sorry. I would say it falls into that "snap shot" category. If you don't know this person.....not much being said then. Perhaps a different angle/viewpoint. Climb a tree and shoot him from above next time?? It's a start. stretch your imagination a bit more...and I'm sure you'll come up with something much better.

Good luck

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    Hi Wiz,

I think that your observation about the photo being too soft is right on and, for that reason alone, I wouldn't recommend your entering this photo in the challenge. I also agree with the other comments about the composition. The bicyclist and his phone are just too small in the context of the entire photo to have the impact you want for a challenge with "telephone" as the subject. It is a fun capture, though, and I enjoyed seeing it. You obviously have a good eye for interesting photos so I know you will come up with something interesting for the challenge. thumb.gif

Va

Email
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    Wiz,

"Composition" is all about how the graphic elements in your image fit together. It's like the notes and rythm of a song. If they are ordered just right you get a tune that makes you want to dance or feel sad or happy. When the elements don't fit you want to change the station or turn the radio off. Same thing happens with photographs. In this case, the subject is interesting but the surroundings and lighting and position don't make him stand out.

As others suggested here, try different lighting, position, etc. until you get something that makes the subject stand out. Keep it up and you'll get it!

Erich
  • Wizard1929Wizard1929 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    Thanks John W; Mike; Va; and Erich.

I carry my point and shoot Dimage G500 on my morning walk. I have a resting spot half way and I saw this guy diagonally across the intersection. He was there for quite some time and it occurred to me that it was a good shot. He was a total stranger, so no chance of getting him to repeat.

My instinct was to not enter, but I liked the idea. The signs above, Bike Path as well as No Parking just caught my eye. Too bad I didn't have my A200 with the 7X zoom, I might have been able to fill the frame.

I'll just have to go with my new idea.

Thanks again,

Wiz
    edited September 23, 2005
    Hey Wiz,

Hope we didn't run you off the road with the suggestions. You might even try just cropping that shot (possibly as a vertical)..and crop in tight enough to fill a good part of the frame with the subject and signage. It might need some resharpening etc..but you can probably salvage a decent shot from this existing image. You will be hard pressed to print an enlargment from this image..but you can at least get a feel for what it would have looked like had you walked closer or had a telephoto lens (to fill the frame with subject matter). You also want to try and keep in mind placement of the subject. It's not the best idea to place this subject "dead center"...but I'm sure you already knew this. (there are however always exceptions to the "commonly accepted rules of thumb".

Look forward to seeing your other ideas/shots

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Wizard1929Wizard1929 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    Well Mike,

Problem is: there's some guy back yonder that gets real tough about the rules. I think his name is Andy. I don't understand why he is so mean :): , but he's threatened to throw some photos off for infractions. I quote:

"when we have a no-photoshop challenge, the following applies ***
    only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness, orientation. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). minor minor cropping (less than 10% of image size). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc."

I've already cropped about the maximum.

On the other hand, perhaps I could get away with it since I don't PhotoShop, I Paint Shop Pro X! Do you think? :D

Wiz

PS I'm not scared, new idea coming up else I'll keep trying to capture a shot of someone with a cellphone in the ear. I've got another week.
    edited September 24, 2005
    Hey Wiz,

Rules..smules.... They are meant to be twisted. eek7.gif:D Croppppp that shot really tight. Print it up at a decent size and then shoot the photo...filling the frame. Now enter that shot. SEE NO CHEATING. eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

Good luck.

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com