Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in Landscapes
I would like to buy a few natural density graduated filters. Lee or the Singh-Ray ones... I am not sure which size I should buy. I would like to use them with my Canon 17-40mm f/4 lens (filter size 77mm) or I can borrow my friends Nikon 14-24mm 2.8g lens.
Which filter size should I buy? The 4x6 is twice as much...
Thanks!

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    what you need to worry about more is the filter holder. i think the "P" filters are only designed for lenses 28mm and longer (on a full-frame body). if you're using the 17-40 on a crop body, you'd be getting the equivalent of about 25mm at the wide end, so you might get a bit of vignetting at the widest settings, but you'd probably be okay for most shots with the "P" holder. for the 14-24, which is only 21mm on a DX body, you'd definitely get vignetting with the "P" holder, and you should probably go with the "Z-pro". if you're shooting a full-frame, you'd need the "X-pro" holder for the 14-24. then get filters to fit whatever size holder you need to use.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com