Options

ABA Basketball....

CFPhotographyCFPhotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited February 20, 2011 in Sports
Jacksonville Giants were at it again this past weekend taking on the Florida Makos. The Giants stay undefeated by trampling the Makos 204-85! All shots taken with a Canon 7d and the 70-200 2.8L. I was looking for some different angles and had the opportunity to go up in the rafters, so I got a few good shots from up there!

1. Team getting pumped up by the mascot "Mr. Biggs" just before tipoff. Taken from the rafters.
1182058134_ur2yk-L.jpg

2. Another shot from the rafters - Matt Fields at the free throw line:
1182066832_FsJZQ-L.jpg

3. Last one from rafters:
1181935047_Hg4Pg-L.jpg

4. #3 Anthony Lumpkin going in for the dunk:
1181946540_tk4Q2-L.jpg

5. Jermaine Bell with the layin:
1181953224_ida3D-L.jpg

6. Renaldo Norman with the acrobatic layup:
1181998446_8FYXc-L.jpg

7. Eddie Horton going through traffic for the underhand layup:
1182017228_CuiEq-L.jpg

8. 7'4" Jason Bennett going in for the block:

1182039280_XVnmv-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always C&C welcome and appreciated! :-)

Comments

• Options
    BayMareBayMare Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Love all your shots but #4 is a standout. Whether you shot it that way or cropped, what a great job of getting the whole player in the frame with a bit of the net, floor and bench for perspective. # 7 is in the same category. Wow.

Was the lighting great or did you use some kind of flash? I am a rank amateur who shoots minor hockey and some equestrian with a 40D and an 85mm 1.8, and I have a lot to learn about technique and equipment. This will never be a career for me, but I'd like to learn and improve. To me, it looks like there is no flash as there are no unnatural shadows in any of your photos and the colours look perfect.

Thanks for sharing!

Myra
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Been thinking of going to check out the Giants. I take it you're not just a fan to gain access to the rafters... :)

Just relocated to Jacksonville. Been looking to hook up with local photogs to find the good spots to shoot.

Heading up to Amelia Island today to do some looking and shooting.

Very nice shots of the Giants.
  • Options
    CFPhotographyCFPhotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Thanks for the comments! Laughing.gif on #4, that is actually the full res picture out of the camera, no cropping. I was happy and mad at the same time. Happy I got the shot, but I cant fix the horizon cause if I do, it will remove the rim. lol.. so I left the horizon crooked just to keep everything in the shot...:D

I Wasnt using any flash, just high enough ISO to get me a fast shutter speed.... The arena is pretty well lit, so depending on what lens I use, I am at ISO 800 to 1600 and generally at a shutter speed of 1/640 or 1/800...

I have shot with the EF 50 1.4 and with that lens I shoot at F2, ISO 800 and a shutter speed of 1/800. I love this lens for basketball! lol

The 85 you have is great for sports, especially indoor sports... Just keep shooting and shooting... post some pics here for feedback so you can continue to improve your technique and shooting...

Gadget, thanks! Yeah, you should come out to a game, its a great time. They only have 2 home games left, plus the ABA All Star game will be in Jax this year in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to shooting that game.

A fellow photog has all access to the arena, so I was tagging along with him up the rafters. I do shoot all the home games for the Giants, but I dont have that kind of access. lol.... But it was definitely cool to go up there.....

We should go shooting sometime, would love to have someone to shoot with, especially if I am going downtown at night or anything.... I never feel safe down their with all my gear.. haha...

Thanks again for the great comments! clap.gif
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Not sure if I'll make a game this season then. We're still getting settled in and my next few weekends look to be booked. However, the wife and boys are going to visit her great grandmother down in Lake Placid in a few weeks. Would love to get together with you and head downtown for some shooting. Haven't explored down there but looks promising from a photog's standpoint.

I'll pm you my email address.
  • Options
    BayMareBayMare Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Thanks, Chris. Just took a deep breath and posted a couple of hockey photos.

Myra