Pano resize and print

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited March 10, 2011 in Finishing School
My wife would like this image:

238412652_3h34H-L-4.jpg

printed as a panorama (42" wide) to mount for our livingroom. I'm not sure if I need to resize or if I can print this thru SM Help please.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    no image...not even a red X
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    This should work now.
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    We would need to know how big the image is :D
    Also might help people answer your question if they know how close you plan on viewing it
    Todd - My Photos
    edited February 12, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    Also might help people answer your question if they know how close you plan on viewing it

Nice pic..I really like itclap.gifclapclap.gif.....go to image size in Photoshop and see the native size, keeping constrain proportions change the width to 42" and see how it looks then start backing up across the room to see when it looks really good, also at 42" wide but how long of a pano........

I would look at the ratios of what I have and what I want resize the dpi dimensions to around 300 or so and crop to my final ratio if possible or as close as possible.......download the trial of GF from OnOne software (pixel perfect is the new name) and do a resize to 42' wide constrain proportions and look at it....as long as you do not save the uprez it will not deduct the previews from your total amount of savable uprezes......I always check this way for any large prints I am wanting to make.....never had a dissatisfied client when I uprez any image...they like the being able to be nose to print and having it look great.......99.9% of all people have no idea about viewing distance.....I still am amazed at the remarks of great paintings and photographs like: wow that looked great from way over there but up close it sux ........ so many years ago I searched for a good uprezing software and was pointed to Genuine fractals by another photog......ofcourse if the pic is bad, GF only makes it worse........

I won't print any image above 16x20 without uprezing in GF and 99.9% of my 16x20 are uprezed already to 30x40 or 40x60.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Your original on SmugMug is rather small for a pano. You can make it as big as 48 Megapixels and up to 24megabytes. Plenty big for the size print you want. Redo it in PS and then upload, and shoot me a link at the help desk, I'll have a look before you order.
    edited February 12, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    Original is 3000px x 1458px or 10"x4.86" @ 300 ppi (after cropping)
    edited February 12, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Your original on SmugMug is rather small for a pano. You can make it as big as 48 Megapixels and up to 24megabytes. Plenty big for the size print you want. Redo it in PS and then upload, and shoot me a link at the help desk, I'll have a look before you order.

I'm not very good in PS. Can you point me in the right direction for me to learn to "make it as big as 48 Megapixels and up to 24megabytes"
    edited February 12, 2011
    I'm not very good in PS. Can you point me in the right direction for me to learn to "make it as big as 48 Megapixels and up to 24megabytes"

Use all the original pixels. DO NOT resize it. How big is the file in photoshop when you make the pano?
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Original is 3000px x 1458px or 10"x4.86" @ 300 ppi (after cropping)

Although I am not the expert on this, I know that is rather small to make such a large print from. It would all depend on how far away from the print you plan on viewing it. Making the image 42" long would mean a resolution of around 70ppi, and that is rather low depending on how far away you are going to be looking at it.

Just a thought, if you took a whole bunch of images of those same trees at the same focal length, look to see if you have multiple images you can merge together into a pano. If you do have the shots to be able to do this, this will give you a MUCH larger image, and WAAAAAAAAY better quality! Pretty much the more pixels you have to start with, the larger you can print and the better the quality
    Todd - My Photos
    edited February 12, 2011
    If you would like to email me the original jpg I will run thru GF to see if it can go that big....is 42 the lenght you want or the height....you can email me the file at INFO at artscottfotografie dot com ........I will email you back the file after running thru GF.....I will have time tomorrow evening and monday morning for this.....

Good Luck

edited February 12, 2011
    Use all the original pixels. DO NOT resize it. How big is the file in photoshop when you make the pano?

The image is cropped out of a Nikon D70 NEF file. I'm not sure what your asking as far as size. Sorry.
    edited February 12, 2011
    The image is cropped out of a Nikon D70 NEF file. I'm not sure what your asking as far as size. Sorry.
    Did you actually put the crop tool to it to change the dimensions of the image? I think that maybe what he means.......

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 12, 2011
    edited February 12, 2011

Sorry, you said you made a panorama - typically these are from multiple photos stitched together, Anthony. Is this a single frame? One shot?
    edited February 12, 2011
    Did you actually put the crop tool to it to change the dimensions of the image? I think that maybe what he means.......

Yes.
    Sorry, you said you made a panorama - typically these are from multiple photos stitched together, Anthony. Is this a single frame? One shot?

Sorry for the confusion. Single frame, yes.
    edited February 12, 2011
    Done...sent email with pass and link

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    The image is going to be way too large to e-mail it. You'd have to upload it somewhere
    edited February 13, 2011
    The image is going to be way too large to e-mail it. You'd have to upload it somewhere
    Yes I know....email was a 2nd notification.....1st was here.... :D:D :D

edited February 13, 2011

Andy, how large of a file can a user upload to their SM site for hosting?
    Art used GF to upres my image and it looks very nice, but we now need to get it loaded to print... he said it's a 38MB file...
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    24MB is the max if I remember correctly.

I just woke up i'll go check so then I'll be sure haha

Yeah:
    The current size limitations on photos for all users are:

* 24 megabytes and 48 megapixels

You'd have to upload it to your own web server and provide a download link. I have one if you want to send the original here, I'll blow it up again and upload it if no one else has the option to. I can probably optimize it too to get as small as possible in file size but retaining detail. I'm an obsessive pixel peeper and I know what textures in the pixel structure that make files big quick lol
    edited March 10, 2011

Art... the print turned out awesome. And just for the record, it was shot with my 1st Nikon... my old D70 w/ the 18-70mm kit lens!