5D MkII to D7000?

studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited February 13, 2011 in Cameras
I'm in need of advice. I'm having some problems with the weight of my 5DII +24-70 combo. I have Carpel Tunnel problems in both wrists and I'm noticing some camera shake problems in some images, possibly due to the weight of the camera + lens.

I used to have a 40D + 17-55 and had less problems with that setup, maybe the IS was helping with that as well?

Anyway, I'm considering some options:

1. Get the 24-105, it's a bit lighter and has IS
2. Get a monopod and use it as much as possible
3. Look into going back to crop sensors

The third option is obviously the most drastic, The full frame sensor is the best thing about the 5DII and I love using it with good quality primes. Also, the 7D has been around for a while and is not so good in low light compared to the 5DII. Obviously Nikon have the D7000 now which is more compact and has a nice new sensor, is it better in low light, how would it compare to the 5DII? Also, I don't know much about Nikon lenses, but I have a suspicion that they may have a better selection of DX lenses than Canon EF-S? What I would need would be a standard 2.8 VR zoom, a quality prime in the 100mm range and another around 35mm, plus a decent macro. I assume that I might be sacrificing a bit of image quality compared to my 135mm f/2 L, but hopefully not too much!

Maybe there's another good option, pentax etc, I know even less about them TBH.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Of your listed options I would go with #2...use a mono or tripod and maybe use a wrist brace to ease the carpel tunnel........or go with Nikon D700.......just an option not listed.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Maybe use primes (35, 50, 85 etc.) in place of the 24-70?

Oh, and Pentax has a HUGE amount of K lenses, but they don't seem to really have a plan as to where they're going with DSLRs. The K-5 is nice, but it's no 7D.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Actually, I just looked and the K-5 looks pretty good actually. I just wonder how the IQ and ISO performance rate. I'm sure they're nowhere near the 5DII.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 12, 2011
    The Canon 5D MKII body is not tremendously more than the Canon 40D body, so most of what you feel in extra weight is the difference between the Canon 24-70mm, f2.8L and the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS lenses. The 17-55mm is a chunk but the 24-70L is quite a bit heavier.

You might consider a Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 IF EX DG HSM. The Canon 24-70L is 950g while the Sigma is 790g. While that's not a tremendous difference in weight, since it "hangs" in front of the camera you will feel the difference over a day's shooting. (The Canon 17-55mm IS is 645g for comparison.)

You will not find a crop camera with the same combination of resolution and noise footprint as the 5D MKII. The smaller imagers are the primary reason why crop cameras will probably always be noisier given the same general imager technology and image processor.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    My thoughts...
    I would try the monopod route first. Get a lightweight but, sturdy monopod and get used to using it.

I began with a Manfrotto 681 monopod but, that pod did not collapse short enough to carry in my suitcase for a China trip. (You often are prevented from carrying monopods as carry-on baggage. They may be considered "weapon-like objects).

I switched to a Calumet 8x Carbon Fiber pod which weighs less than a pound and collapses quite short. I top the pod with a Kirk MPA-1 monopod swivel and use a RRS L plate on my camera. This allows me to shoot in the vertical position without hanging my camera cantilevered over to the side which causes an imbalanced hold.

BTW: The 24-70L is a heavy lens that could be difficult to hold. I would expect that the IS capability of the 24-105L along with the fact that this lens is a TAD lighter in weight would also assist you in holding your camera/lens steady.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Another option, and will aid any above options too. Is to work on hand holding technique.
    I notice a lot, and I mean a lot, of people grip their lens with the left hand palm face down. This makes it harder to hold heavier lens/body on your wrists.
    Maybe try this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
  • flowriderflowrider Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Not too sure it's possible but adding a hand strap takes a bunch of stress off your hands. I used to shoot a Mamiya RZ 67 handheld all the time with a grip, handstrap and tucking my left elbow into my body to help support the weight.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    While I have recommended the 24-105 over the 24-70 to people who are thinking of buying one or the other, I'm not so willing to recommend replacing one with the other (though that's what I did without regret). Obviously you are happy with the combo you have had, and since you must have a good copy of the 24-70, I think it would be a wrong move to replace it. I recommend stay full frame and stay 5DII, there is no better camera in its class and its qualities are going to be competitive for a long time to come.

So, my feeling is start with the most conservative options - adjust your holding technique, get into the habit of resting your wrists while you are not actually taking a shot (I was developing chronic discomfort in my left wrist until I learned to let the gear hang on the neckstrap just steadied with a hand while I was in between actually sighting shots) - anything to get the weight off your wrists every opportunity.

Obviously more gear, like a pod, is more weight to manoeuvre, and it involves learning a new shooting technique, but it might be part of the solution. Whether you choose to go with different gear or not, the wrist problem will still be there without easing the strain by better holding technique, resting and support - otherwise any amount of weight is going to be too much in the end.

Hope you can quickly get back to comfortable shooting!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice so far. Decided to keep the 5DII and 24-70, but will be buying another standard zoom for my other half soon, and might get the 24-105 for me and let him have the 24-70.

Just bought a hand strap on eBay, so I'll see how that helps as well, and also work on my stance (tend to lean forward). I'm going to the big Focus on Imaging Expo in Birmingham in a few weeks so I'll have a look at some monopods while I'm there, might get one if I see something that looks good.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Hand grip exercises and a dip in chilly water... best thing against carpel :)

The hand strap will help you greatly. If you buy one with a full length wrap-around that goes down below your wrist, it shifts a large % of the weight into the length of your arm which will balance the load off of your hands quite a bit. In some situations where I was gripping my camera tightly for an hour or two and my hand was really hurting, I remembered I had the grip and it's like a gift from heaven after that.

P.S. : You'd cry in emotional pain at some point afterward if you ever changed out your MKII. Seriously. :cry