Lady in Black

2»

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Re#28

The DOF here is much more to my liking. This image would be so much diminished without the distinct line of the neck and front shoulder. Personally I very much like the angle of the lighting of the hair and shoulder. The decolletage is ravishing. Altogether a fairy princess look. I'm glad we were spared another thick underlip.

On the negative side, the large empty space around the subject in this and the other images gives a museum-like impression, rather "memorial"-like. Your inspiration Hurrell *dressed* the subject, and although his lighting-tone style has been given emphasis, I think his accessorising of his subjects is just as distinctive and powerful, and brings out the flesh and blood "fabric" of the subject. The knit fabric is too ordinary and casual in #28 imo, and fights the idea of princessly elegance. This is similar to a remark I made about #1.

I certainly appreciate what you stunningly achieve with some of these images, and I am learning from what you are doing - thanks! - but they as yet don't seem to me to totally gel and achieve as much as they might.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Really nice photos. All of them.

You are shooting this on film, yes?
  • Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    InsuredDisaster - Mostly medium format film, yes. Not for any kind of "analog magic" though. In fact, I hate all the fuss I have to go through to get the photos on the HD. The only reason is that it gives me smaller DOF which I so much love :) But I also shoot a lot of digital (the last two are examples of my digital work) and quite alot of 135 film (because I can't afford a so called "fullframe camera".
    Neil - hah... good point about the entourage... they might look a tad bit synthetic, I give you that... The reason is very mundane - lack of funds/space necessary to hire/buy and keep props... as I mentioned before, portraiture for me is only a hobby, a pastime if you will...
    As for the underlips... I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if I will continue to show my work here, you're gonna see a lot of that... guess that's another of them "things" I have. A thing for full lips and big eyes. But somehow I doubt this makes me very unique amongst men :D
    Ok, here's another one, called "Pocahontas":

55571672.jpg

Oh, and it's film (obviously). 135 this time, shot with minolta 800si with 70-210/4 on fuji npc-160, scanned on an ancient Agfa Arcus-1200, B&W-ed and processed in Lightroom.
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Hey, I really can tell the difference, and at least to me the film look helps these photos enormously I think. Really makes them all look more "classic" and from periods past. Really love your DOF in these as well.

One request, do you have a setup shot or anything? Not sure if you want to share, but I would love to try something like this with my wife. . . .

Definately following this thread to see what else you post.
    edited March 19, 2011
    Bump up time :)

80220070.jpg

As always, I'm craving your feedback ;)

I'll post a "behind the scenes" photo later if you like - I don't usually make them, not many people are actually interested in how I shoot.
  • jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Marcin Wuu wrote:
    I'll post a "behind the scenes" photo later if you like - I don't usually make them, not many people are actually interested in how I shoot.

Please.

It would also be interesting to hear how you find your models. I would imagine, a quick flash of your portfolio, would have most any woman begging.

edited March 19, 2011
    I like @ #36 a great deal. It has a lot of grace. The shaping via shading of the BG gives a more 3D effect. The lighting of the skin is excellent, and the costume has been relegated to insignificance, as is appropriate for your intentions, I think.

Two tiny preferences: a little more opening of light into the eye R to match the other, and a little less highlight on the hair over temple R to better match the fringe.

Neil

edited March 24, 2011
    How about this one then?

Unleashed

dsc01418d.jpg
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    I love "unleashed" and all the varying textures. The attitude that the one eye covered evokes is part of the appeal for me. Veronica Lake made that kind of look her trademark back in 1940's Hollywood. The one thing I find distracting is the highlight around her right shoulder. It may benefit from a little bit of softening to take the edge off it.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    edited April 4, 2011
    up time ;)

For those who asked about my setup, here's a little backstage shot:

dsc0437b.jpg

As you can see, ain't nuthin' much. Two silly 300w/s chinese monoblocks each fitted with 15cm reflector. To the lower right, in the process of being ruined by the very flesh of my flesh and blood of my blood, the only other light modyfing tool - a 42" silver/gold bouncing reflector (also chinese, of the cheapest kind, set me back a whoopin' $15). Simplest radio trigger (also chinese, mind you) hangs from the monoblock in the back. The front flash is slaved to the back one via a photocell. Very simple kind of white-ish background nailed to the ceiling (country of origin - try and guess ;)). The back flash on a cheap lightstand, the front one on a standard studio boom, also of the cheapest kind, without even spring protection, let alone aircushioning :). That's all. I usually stand where this was taken from, right under the boom mounted flash.

And here is one of the shots from this section:

Corvus Monedula

02edit.jpg

Taken with medium format analog, 180mm @f4.5 on ektar 100. The noticeable smudges on the back are caused by labpeople, darn them...

phew :)
    edited April 10, 2011
    Not much to look at, eh? ;)

Ok, how 'bout this one:

Corvus Corax

dsc02579edit.jpg

You know how it goes:

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary..."
    edited April 17, 2011
    Re #43, intriguing. Pre-Raphaelite and Victorian, contradiction and anachronism. Not the raven on the edge, knitting life and death with shrieks, but an abstraction from both life and death, epiphany.

Neil

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Nice work. I really like your black and whites, you have that down.
    I like your dramatic lighting and psing.
    Keep em coming!!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    "As you can see, ain't nuthin' much. Two silly 300w/s chinese monoblocks each fitted with 15cm reflector. To the lower right, in the process of being ruined by the very flesh of my flesh and blood of my blood, the only other light modyfing tool - a 42" silver/gold bouncing reflector (also chinese, of the cheapest kind, set me back a whoopin' $15). Simplest radio trigger (also chinese, mind you) hangs from the monoblock in the back. The front flash is slaved to the back one via a photocell. Very simple kind of white-ish background nailed to the ceiling (country of origin - try and guess ;)). The back flash on a cheap lightstand, the front one on a standard studio boom, also of the cheapest kind, without even spring protection, let alone aircushioning :). That's all. I usually stand where this was taken from, right under the boom mounted flash."

Thank you for making a great point!!! Light is light......its what you do with it. Great stuff, please keep posting.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Fabulous stuff.

Neil, did you intend for this line to scan as per the poem?!?! "Not the raven on the edge, knitting life and death with shrieks..." rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 17, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Neil, did you intend for this line to scan as per the poem?!?! "Not the raven on the edge, knitting life and death with shrieks..." rolleyes1.gif

mwink.gif

Neil

edited April 19, 2011
    Poetry aside ;), thankyou for the kind words, good folks of Dgrin.

Here's another one for you, in a bit different mood:

Globus perfectum est :)

dsc02780gs.jpg
  • Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    I loved lighting and colors for first picture
  • Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Hurrell went for more deeper shadows. The fresnel lens allowed him to focus the light and get a sharp edge shadow.
    1199969057_EaM8o-XL.gif

this image has awesome process
    most thing I liked is black areas
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm glad that I finally found it.

I love your work!

Very classy, a bit of elegance, and a simplistic beauty reminiscent of times gone by thumb.gif

Please do post more!
    Randy
    edited April 29, 2011
    I thought I'll get back to "safe" subjects :)

This one is not really my usual as it is in colour. But when I saw the way light worked on this girl's very light complexion I had to leave the colour... here goes:

Vermeer's girl.

dsc09199edit.jpg
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Very nice. Why didn't you start a new thread? She deserves her own.
    Normally I'm not drawn to broadly lit portraits, but she has the facial structure to pull it off.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Wow Marcin...just happened on this thread today. Fantastic work! thumb.gif
    You might consider devoting a thread to each photo to allow for more comments/critiques on the individual shot rather than the body as a whole. It will hopefully allow more Dgrinners to view your work rather than waiting for a single thread to get bumped.