Which printer

r1levyr1levy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I've just joined this forum so forgive me if I'm asking a question already answered. I'm looking to replace my printer which is an Epson Stylus Photo 1270, about 9 or 10 years old. I'm trying to decide between the Canon Pixma Pro 9000ii and the Pixma Pro 9500ii. I'm not a professional photographer but don't mind spending the few extra bucks for the 9500 considering how long I keep a printer. I print both black & white and color. The 9500 apparently prints black & white better than the 9000. But is the 9000 so much better than my old Epson that I'll be blown away by it's ability to print B&W? Is the 9500 "that much" better?
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    I gave up on my 1270 several years ago ... it was a real bummergerg.gif for me, a constant source of frustration with clogging especially, while the old HP units kept on trucking.

I trashed the 1270 and purchased a Canon i9900 when they first came out, and it still plods along printing outstanding photos up to 13x19.clap.gif It blew away the 1270 IMHO in all the types of photos I do/did.

I have seen output from the Pixima Pro 9500ii, and the prints are equally good, if not better, than my i9900. So I would say go with the 9500. I think it will last a long while for you and be an excellent replacement to your older Epson. Again, my opinion only.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • r1levyr1levy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2011
    Thank you for your input. I'm tired of clogged print heads too. Used to be if I didn't use my 1270 for a week or two the heads would clog. Now it happens the day after I use it. Frustrating!
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    At least with more modern Epson’s, 2880, 3880, even my older 4800, ink clogging is mostly a non issue.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/