Options

Carry Speed CS-1 camera sling First impressions.

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited February 13, 2011 in Accessories
I am going to try to keep this short..

So, I was in the market for a sling type camera strap. I got very interested in the Black Rapids as I hear about them all over the place. I wanted to get a better idea how they work. But photos from reviews didn't explain enough IMO. I went to good ol Youtube to find some dorky guy reviewing their new toy (Most video reviews come off a bit geeky :lust).
That's when I find a video review titled "Black rapid vs Carryspeed". At first I thought, "Oh great some crazy guy reviewing another product:rofl). At first I was not sold, but inspired me to look into other sling strap alternatives.

Optech with sling adapter: It is made in USA and looks comfortable, but I didn't like that is used too many plastic snaps (plastic snaps will break too easily, IME) and connects to the camera strap connector. If you wanted to use two holding points (or heavier camera with a battery pack), it looks like it was optimized for a Canon body.

Lu.ma Loop: This looks very stylish, and comfortable and made in USA. But looks like it is designed for lighter setups, and attaches to the cameras strap connector. You can get the Lu.ma PodMount to attach it at the tripod mount on your camera making the total price $85 :huh This strap also doesn't have a real viable way of attaching a security strap for your camera, in case the primary one fails. :nono

Black Rapid: Black Rapid has been on the market for awhile now, and has been proven to be worth while. When I saw video reviews and photos, it looks great, except when ever someone is holding the camera in portrait position. IMO, they just look uncomfortable. I assume you can loosen the strap to make this more comfortable but then you also make it hang too low when on your side. It also connects right at the tripod mount taking up the tripod socket.

Carryspeed: This seems like a Black rapid rip off at first. But further investigation revealed that it is not. The mounting plate is different and actually looks and feels durable. It connects to the camera tripod socket but uses a plate that attaches a (carabiner?) at the bottom corner of the camera body. This reduces the uncomfortable look when holding the camera in portrait orientation and allows the camera to hang more square from the hip. It also has a tripod socket in the attaching screw that allows you to attach a tripod plate of your own with out removing the strap plate. There are no plastic snaps to worry about, the webbing is pretty standard and durable.The only thing I would improve is that the shoulder padding would be a little more form fitting. It has a couple of pockets for a memory card or two. So it's fair to compare this the the Black Rapid RS-4. For $35 shipped this is what I chose and so far I am happy that it.

I will post photos later. Thanks for ready.