Once in a lifetime

skezskez Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 14, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I took this photo on the way home from a day trip to Moab, Utah. The Dewey Bridge on highway 128 was built in 1918. At the time it was built it was the second longest suspension bridge west of the Mississippi. It was also included in the National Register of Historic Places.

April 16th, 2008 is the day I happened to be driving past the bridge. That also happened to be the day a seven year old boy accidentally started a wildfire while playing with matches. As you can see, this was the result.

Dewey-Bridge-Fire.jpg

This was actually two photos. I pasted them together in photoshop. It appeared in quite a few publications because I was quick to send it off after I got home. No one else got any photos quite as striking as mine. My little 15 minutes of fame as an amateur photographer.

It was quite an experience. The first time in my life where I felt like I witnessed a little blip of history.

Comments

• kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    I'm curious how a wildfire managed to set a bridge made of solid steel on fire... sorry to see a historic landmark like that go though :(

Other than that, great capture here.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • skezskez Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »
    I'm curious how a wildfire managed to set a bridge made of solid steel on fire... sorry to see a historic landmark like that go though :(

Other than that, great capture here.

It was a wooden bridge. For a long time it was the only bridge across the Colorado River on highway 128. It's a bit of a landmark in the area. Many people around here have pictures of their huge trucks or motor homes squeezing over the old bridge.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Sad to see something go down in flames, but I agree ... a nice capture of history taking place.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    bah. another reason for me to dislike children. that's really too bad. little brat. great job capturing it though it is a shame.
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    skez wrote: »
    It was a wooden bridge. For a long time it was the only bridge across the Colorado River on highway 128. It's a bit of a landmark in the area. Many people around here have pictures of their huge trucks or motor homes squeezing over the old bridge.

my mistake, I'd just assumed suspension bridges were mostly metal. :D
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Skez - Awesome photo and definitely a once in a lifetime photo op. Because of the subject it's one of those that you never want to see, but you certainly made the best of a real bad event.

I've driven by the bridge many times, both when it was intact and after it's demise. I clearly remember reading about it back then and thinking how sad it was.