Need advice in getting a macro lens

linda1111linda1111 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited February 20, 2011 in Holy Macro
Hi, everyone. I love macro photography and love that there's a section here about it. I want to buy a macro lens for my new Sony a500. I like a lot of magnification. Can you give me an idea of what works for you, and what I might want to get?

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 14, 2011
    hi linda, suggest you take a look at the tamron 90 mm macro, sony 1000mm macro and sigma 105 macro, they come in your camera fitment. this will give life size magnification, if you want more magnification [we all do! ] get a set of kenko auto extension tubes which will double magnification to x2 life size :D
    image quality of all will be very good.
  • linda1111linda1111 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    hi linda, suggest you take a look at the tamron 90 mm macro, sony 1000mm macro and sigma 105 macro, they come in your camera fitment. this will give life size magnification, if you want more magnification [we all do! ] get a set of kenko auto extension tubes which will double magnification to x2 life size :D

Excellent information. Thank you!
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »

Considering extension tubes have no glass, are Kenko tubes any better than some of their much cheaper counterparts? I too am looking to enter into the world of Macro.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Considering extension tubes have no glass, are Kenko tubes any better than some of their much cheaper counterparts? I too am looking to enter into the world of Macro.

Think we tend to name Kenko as the most widely available auto extension tubes made by a third party company. There are other third party auto ext tubes around which work fine. The Auto part is important as you can get much cheaper non-auto tubes which do not allow you to control the aperture with AF type lenses, which makes using them a bit tedious unless you have an old manual lens.

I actually use a set of Dixon's ext tubes, which are auto and work fine but don't think they supply them anymore.

Brian V.
  • RocketlilyRocketlily Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I have the Sony A55 and A350 and have been using the Sigma 105 with the Kenko extention tubes and have been very happy with the lens. It's a little noisy and sometimes takes a while searching to focus, but I do like the quality of photos I get.
    edited February 18, 2011
    Rocketlily wrote: »
    I have the Sony A55 and A350 and have been using the Sigma 105 with the Kenko extention tubes and have been very happy with the lens. It's a little noisy and sometimes takes a while searching to focus, but I do like the quality of photos I get.

That's good to know. Thank you, Rocketlily.
    edited February 20, 2011
    Ok, I bought a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens - it's on its way. Good choice?
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,379 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    linda1111 wrote: »
    Ok, I bought a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens - it's on its way. Good choice?
    Sigma have an excellent reputation. Also, as you emphasise your desire for maximum magnification, the short focal length will achieve that with less extension than with a lens of longer focal length (those recommended). (The lens I most frequently use is an Olympus/Zuiko 50mm macro, although I also have the Tamron 90mm).

That said, don't rush into the higher magnifications too soon as the practical problems are largely proportional to the magnification and you could get discouraged.
    edited February 20, 2011
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Sigma have an excellent reputation. Also, as you emphasise your desire for maximum magnification, the short focal length will achieve that with less extension than with a lens of longer focal length (those recommended). (The lens I most frequently use is an Olympus/Zuiko 50mm macro, although I also have the Tamron 90mm).

That said, don't rush into the higher magnifications too soon as the practical problems are largely proportional to the magnification and you could get discouraged.

Sounds good. I'll start playing around with it when it gets here. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for your help.