Feedback requested on amateur portrait session

aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited March 6, 2011 in People
Hi People people. My good friend asked me to shoot some informal portraits of him, with the idea in mind that he would use the better ones for marketing materials for his Zumba/fitness services. We did a short shoot yesterday.

I'm not experienced with portraits and I could use some feedback/C&C on the pictures.

I'm looking for:
- Any overall feedback or tips
- Suggestions for helping model loosen up before/during shoot
- Suggestions for more compelling compositions/crops
- Tips for working in available daylight

Thanks for looking at these early versions.

1. Original, out-of-camera JPEG
1188179833_AHPMM-M.jpg

2. Minor global adjustments, crop
1188177013_E4JNB-M.jpg

3. Original, out-of-camera JPEG
1188180525_DMesm-M.jpg

4. Minor global adjustments, crop
1188177113_LSVKU-M.jpg

5. Original, out-of-camera JPEG
1188180847_6SCxn-M.jpg

6. Minor global adjustments, crop
1188177387_zwRm7-M.jpg

7. Original, out-of-camera JPEG
1188179833_AHPMM-M.jpg

8. Minor global adjustments, crop
1188176771_AK4K3-M.jpg

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    If these shots are for marketing a fitness service you need to show his physique. You will need to get more side direction lighting to skim ascross the body to show definition. Try some window light and have him stand toward the rear of the window and use a reflector to open the shadows.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    light is a bit flat. red shirt is stealing attention away. background in 3,4,5,6 is distracting. The pose needs to be more masculine imo..try some some non smiling shots as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    If these shots are for marketing a fitness service you need to show his physique. You will need to get more side direction lighting to skim ascross the body to show definition. Try some window light and have him stand toward the rear of the window and use a reflector to open the shadows.

Thanks for that suggestion, Hackbone. We'll try some alternative lighting options, and show more of his build.
    Qarik wrote: »
    light is a bit flat. red shirt is stealing attention away. background in 3,4,5,6 is distracting. The pose needs to be more masculine imo..try some some non smiling shots as well.

Thanks Qarik for the feedback. Do you prefer the pics with the black shirt, then? Do you have other suggestions for apparel colors? Good suggestion to have some non-smiling shots-we hadn't thought of that.

Appreciate the help, guys! thumb.gif
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    5/6 is my favorite although I think all the crops are a bit tight. You picked an interesting background, show it off a bit more on the sides. In the crop you have, there is a lot of extra space above his head.

I definitely prefer the dark shirt, except it looks like there are some dirty spots on it or maybe it's lint? Also, they could use a shallower DOF overall. And in 8, the crooked lines behind him make my brain hurt. Good work with his pose!

When working outside in bright daylight the most important thing is to stay out of direct light if possible, to avoid hot spots and harsh shadows. If there's no shade around, use a reflector to diffuse it a bit. You have done a great job on adjusting for that in post though!

I always try to loosen up the subject by chatting to them (asking questions), and giving direction. You'd be surprised how much giving direction really helps. Even things that might seem obvious like "relax your shoulders" can do wonders. After I get them chilled out and just talking back and forth with me, then I quiet down for a bit and just snap away. But I really can't stress how much giving direction can help - it was something I really had to work on myself because I felt bossy at first, but it turns out people want to look good! They're relying on you to make it happen so as long as you're patient, it goes a long way.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Lauren, thank you for the very thoughtful and helpful feedback. A lot to chew on here.

Regarding the spots on the black shirt, that's actually rain. It was drizzling the whole time we were shooting. Not sure what to do about that except for maybe work on it in PS?

I will take your recommendations and suggestions to heart-thanks again for your reply. thumb.gif