Printer question

andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 27, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I have decided to start printing myself rather than use a lab. I get surprises even from the best labs, so I am going to print everything except the large format prints.

I find the number of printers available bewildering! Even when I restrict my search to Epson, I find multiple printers for any size printer. Some with the K3 inkset that epson says is the best and others with something more that Epson says is better than the best.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what printer might be best for 17 inch width?

Comments

• ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    hey Moderator.. I think this question needs to move to be answered.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 15, 2011
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum. You should find other similar questions here.

Carry on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I should have been more specific. I started using a couple of labs to produce Giclée prints. They cost a fortune and often aren't what I expected. So, I started looking into printing them myself and I think this could be enjoyable and in the end save me money, since I have to redo some of the expensive 17x22 canvas prints.

I am looking into the Epson 3880, 4880 and 4900. The issues that worry me are the efficiency of doing this when I don't do it that often. I am worried about the ink being wasted if I don't use up a cartridge quickly enough.

The 4900 seems to use less ink, since it doesn't have to clean the heads that often.

I am a novice when it comes to printing, so any help would be appreciated. I don't feel I know enough to articulate the issues or even be aware of them.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    All of the Epson’s you mention should be equal in terms of ink clogging (or lack thereof). I’d say if you have the space and want roll and cassette printing, go 4880. Otherwise, if you only print sheet, the 3880 is great. I haven’t had the opportunity to play with the 4900.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Don't forget the Canon large format printers!

Sam
  • andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Don't forget the Canon large format printers!

Sam

The lab I use has Epson printers, so if I want a larger print, I can send them the file I used on my Epson and the results should be similar -- or so I have been told.

The reviews on all the Epsons are great. Is the Canon equal or better?
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    I've never been a fan of the Epsons. I went HP and own a Z3100 with built in calibration (24".) If I had to buy again, which I may eventually replace my 3100, I'll be going Canon. Just the ink cart sizes available, extra features, I had a list of the reasons why, but now I can't find it... figures.