Amorillis

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited February 16, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
What do you think?

1188903880_KiVUS-M.jpg

Comments

• ReenieReenie Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    I find myself trying to figure what kind of lighting you used and how you set it up?
    When you get the choice to sit it out or dance...I hope you dance. All4Him, Reenie
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    I feel that the vast, stark white background tends to overwhelm the flower. The flower itself is captured very well. A more complimentary background would help the overall presentation.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Reenie wrote: »
    I find myself trying to figure what kind of lighting you used and how you set it up?

I used strong natural light bounced off the snow to backlight it.
    edited February 16, 2011
    I feel that the vast, stark white background tends to overwhelm the flower. The flower itself is captured very well. A more complimentary background would help the overall presentation.

Tom

Interesting. Can't say that I agree but I appreciate the input.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Interesting. Can't say that I agree but I appreciate the input.

As with any critique, it's hard to keep personal preferences out of the issue. I'm sure others will feel the background, in this case, is perfect for the shot. Even though I'd vote for a toned-down background, I still find the shot to be very attractive.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited February 16, 2011
    As with any critique, it's hard to keep personal preferences out of the issue. I'm sure others will feel the background, in this case, is perfect for the shot. Even though I'd vote for a toned-down background, I still find the shot to be very attractive.thumb.gif

Tom

I understand exactly what you are saying. I have played with a lot of backgrounds with different flowers from dark black to very soft colored bokeh. Normally this super hard blown out background would not work out at all. Just something about white Amorillis though that to my eye makes it work. I think it makes them look even whiter. Also, the hard backlight shows how thin the petals are. And then the green draws you into the center. At least, that is my thought process. But hey, I'm a sports and action guy trying to be artsy wings.gif