Options

reflections

diverjohndiverjohn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 24, 2005 in Technique
How do I set this up?
I would like to place a young lady on the far side of a birdbath then photograph her image shimmering in the water.
To do this, would I first focus on her head then swing the camera down to the water's surface, or would I get better results by focusing on the water's surface only.
My instinct is that the reflection will appear sharpest when I focus for the source of the reflected image. What do you think? :wxwax

Comments

• Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    diverjohn wrote:
    How do I set this up?
    I would like to place a young lady on the far side of a birdbath then photograph her image shimmering in the water.
    To do this, would I first focus on her head then swing the camera down to the water's surface, or would I get better results by focusing on the water's surface only.
    My instinct is that the reflection will appear sharpest when I focus for the source of the reflected image. What do you think? umph.gif
    Wrong on both counts, the focal path goes from the reflective surface to the object, so neither focusing on the subject, nor focusing on the reflective surface will work.

Instead, focus on the subject as it is reflected in the bird bath, use manual focus if you have to.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    The focus needed is based on the length from the camera to the subject via the path the light will travel. If you have a reflection, and you want the reflection to look sharp and in focus, the light travels a longer distance from subject to camera than if the subject were being photographed directly. So focusing on the reflection will yield the best results.

diverjohn wrote:
    How do I set this up?
    My instinct is that the reflection will appear sharpest when I focus for the source of the reflected image. What do you think? umph.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie