Options

Winter Engagement Session

Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
edited February 17, 2011 in Weddings
Hello all you fabulous, talented people! It has been a long time since I have posted here, but I come to check things out from time to time. Quite often I leave speechless!

I just recently did an engagement session in the snow on a pretty cold day, but the light was amazing and they were totally into it. Would love some feedback. Thanks!

1. Horses are a very important part of their lives, so Lea's fiance` took hair from their 4 horses manes and twirled them into a ring. He used that to propose to her.

1161676731_e3uTP-L.jpg

1189521555_pgcrf-L.jpg

1186485833_vVjix-L.jpg

1187367558_EXTHX-L.jpg

1189522427_GXPk4-L.jpg

To see the rest of the session, click here: http://www.whimsicalyearsphotography.com/blog/2819/winter-engagement-session-maine/

Comments

• Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    I really like #2 with the white and the black, beautiful image. It seems like it was processed differently #3,#4,#5. (Not a bad thing just looks different) Great series!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    in general pretty decent stuff. I feel you almost all the shots could use 1/3 stop bump in exposure to make snow look like white snow instead of greyish snow. also when posing your couples for kissy shots..don't snap them mid kiss, as k them to "almost" kiss or snap right before...puckered lips rarely work except in goofy shots. For example I think 2 is great shot..dripping with emotion..except for the dudes lips.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2011
    trevorb wrote: »
    I really like #2 with the white and the black, beautiful image. It seems like it was processed differently #3,#4,#5. (Not a bad thing just looks different) Great series!

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, #'s 3,4 & 5 are processed differently than #2. I get bored with the same techniques. What I really try to stress in everything I photograph is emotion; telling a story. I constantly (on purpose) break the technical rules. I know my style isn't for everyone, but my clients like it.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    in general pretty decent stuff. I feel you almost all the shots could use 1/3 stop bump in exposure to make snow look like white snow instead of greyish snow. also when posing your couples for kissy shots..don't snap them mid kiss, as k them to "almost" kiss or snap right before...puckered lips rarely work except in goofy shots. For example I think 2 is great shot..dripping with emotion..except for the dudes lips.

Thank you for your advise/feedback - much appreciated! None of these shots were posed, in fact, 99% of what I shoot is candid. I agree about the moment either before or after the kiss, but I guess I wasn't fast enough on that one. In regards to the snow, most likely it was one of the photo actions I used. I'm a rule breaker when it comes to technology, and if whites aren't pure, that's okay with me. I'm after a feeling, a mood, and I like to change things up a bit.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Thank you for your advise/feedback - much appreciated! None of these shots were posed, in fact, 99% of what I shoot is candid. I agree about the moment either before or after the kiss, but I guess I wasn't fast enough on that one. In regards to the snow, most likely it was one of the photo actions I used. I'm a rule breaker when it comes to technology, and if whites aren't pure, that's okay with me. I'm after a feeling, a mood, and I like to change things up a bit.

Just to clarify I don't mind the color cast in the shots..it's warm and intimate..the overall tonaility is just a touch dark to me is all. In some shots the guys black shirt or horse lose all detail even. imo you don't lose any initimacy with a touch more exposure. Also ..and I say this a lot...add slight vignette on a few to draw the eyes in to the subjects..it creates even more intimacy!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    As a horse lover and a lover of photography, I am in love with this set! Fantastic shots - #2 is my favorite :)
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2011
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    As a horse lover and a lover of photography, I am in love with this set! Fantastic shots - #2 is my favorite :)

Thank you, Natalie ~ much appreciated!!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I really like 2, and I would like 5 if it was either just the woman or if you could see her man's face better.