Water shots

garrickgarrick Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 18, 2011 in Landscapes
Hello everyone,

First post here. I was looking through some of the recent contributions to this forum and was just blown away. I'm looking forward to learning how to get more out of my shots and processing from your comments.

Here are two shots I took last fall on Lake Superior's north shore. I really like these in B&W but am looking for suggestions on how to improve them, both from technical and compositional standpoints.

#1: Cross River near Schroeder, MN. Taken from a vehicle bridge.
1188966018_g2vhF-XL.jpg

#2: Rocks of Lake Superior. Taken at a small harbor in Tofte, MN. You can see the breakwater (made of boulders) in the background.
1188966135_DXsTJ-XL.jpg

Thanks for your comments!

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

I really dig the second. The rock in the front just makes it thumb.gif
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I've to to say that its the first one for me. I love the details in the rocks. Its like you can just sit and stare at the photo looking for all sorts of interesting things.

I think its just a personal thing, but I've found that I'm not a huge fan of images that have lots of motion in one part, but then just still in the other. I love the rock at the bottom half of the frame, but the top half is so still.

Anyway, some wonderful shots no matter how you look at them.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    +1 for the first image, no improvement necessary. Good choice for both of these in b/w.
  • garrickgarrick Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2011
    Thanks for the comments!

Interesting take on the motion in one part but not in the other -- I've never considered that.