Canon 24L question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited February 16, 2011 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
I'm looking at a 24L for low light/band type pictures. Version 1 is what I'm interested in, but only if the center is sharp, or very usable wide open. Not concerned about corners or distortions at all. Your thoughts please. Thank you :thumb
Have a good evening :D
Jim...

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Uh, it's awesomely sharp, go for it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 16, 2011
    Center sharpness of the Canon EF 24mm, f1.4L USM (MKI) is not spectacular wide open, but it is pretty good. There is also more flare problem and lower contrast, as compared to the MKII. In the really hard lighting of a band concert the flare issue would be the most problematic, especially if there is back lighting which could exacerbate the lens flare.

The MKII is much better in this regard so I think it would be preferable (but darned expensive).

I guess the best approach is rental first so you can see for yourself if the lens is suitable. (Just make sure you know which version you are renting at the time you rent.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Uh, it's awesomely sharp, go for it.

Ack, I didn't see you were asking about MkI - I own (and love) the Mk2 - very sharp.
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Good Evening,
    Thank you for the comments and advice. I was hoping not to spend $1600 on such a lens but I guess you can't put a price on IQ and client satisfaction mwink.gif Again, thank you thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...