Exif Check

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 18, 2011 in Cameras
I often do an exif check by right clicking on an image and then Properties. I now use a 7D and when I look down the Exif it does not show the mode I use for example 'Manual' under Exposure Programme. Why is this? Because when I use my 40D it shows I am using 'Manual' under Exposure Programme on the Exif. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 17, 2011
    It sounds like you are on a Windows machine.

Your best bet is to use a file viewer that has EXIF view capability and then update that viewer software as needed to support any new camera.

The viewer that I use most and highly recommend is the freeware FastStone Viewer.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

This should work with any original file from the camera. If you should edit the file, like in Photoshop, then you must pay special attention to retaining the EXIF from the original file.

Once you install FastStone you can right-mouse-click-point to a directory, from within Windows Explorer, and it will offer an option to open the directory using FastStone Viewer. Once in the viewer, double-left-mouse-click on a thubnail image to expand the image and then move the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen to open the File Information, which exposes the EXIF information for the file. It's really very easy once you do it a couple of times and you will wonder how you ever did without it. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Your best bet is to use a file viewer that has EXIF view capability and then update that viewer software as needed to support any new camera.

The viewer that I use most and highly recommend is the freeware FastStone Viewer.

This should work with any original file from the camera. If you should edit the file, like in Photoshop, then you must pay special attention to retaining the EXIF from the original file.

Once you install FastStone you can right-mouse-click-point to a directory, from within Windows Explorer, and it will offer an option to open the directory using FastStone Viewer. Once in the viewer, double-left-mouse-click on a thubnail image to expand the image and then move the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen to open the File Information, which exposes the EXIF information for the file. It's really very easy once you do it a couple of times and you will wonder how you ever did without it. thumb.gif

Thanks a lot Ziggy.
    Yes I am on Windows 7. I will install Faststone and once again thanks for you kind help.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited February 17, 2011

Hi Ziggy,
    I have downloaded Faststone and it is as you say a great way to examine your Exif. However, I still find that when I go to the right of the screen and bring up the exif from the list and also in Properties and then Detail, I find that any photo taken with my 7D does not reveal 'Manual' under the Exposure Programme but once again it reveals it for any image taken with my 40D. It obviusly has to do with the 7D would you agree?
    Cheers
    Bob
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited February 17, 2011
    canon400d wrote: »
    ...I find that any photo taken with my 7D does not reveal 'Manual' under the Exposure Programme but once again it reveals it for any image taken with my 40D. It obviusly has to do with the 7D would you agree?
    I wonder if it's a setting somewhere. I just checked some photos from my 7D, and they do specify Exposure Program Manual. They were converted from Raw by LR.

--- Denise
    edited February 17, 2011
    Hi Ziggy,
    I have downloaded Faststone and it is as you say a great way to examine your Exif. However, I still find that when I go to the right of the screen and bring up the exif from the list and also in Properties and then Detail, I find that any photo taken with my 7D does not reveal 'Manual' under the Exposure Programme but once again it reveals it for any image taken with my 40D. It obviusly has to do with the 7D would you agree?
    Cheers
    Bob

That's odd. It sounds like you're not in the FastStone user interface when you say that you, "... bring up the exif from the list and also in Properties and then Detail ...". Those things are not in the FastStone interface.
    ziggy53
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Exifutils, a command line app, does show the exposure mode from the exif data. Here is what it finds for one of my 7D images.

However the exposure "mode" is actually called "exposure program" in the exif data. Exifutils is a command line app, so it doesn't work from the file explorer, but you can get it here http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/ .

Exposure Time (sec) : 1/100
    F-Number : 8.0
    Exposure Program : Aperture Priority
    ISO Speed : 100
    EXIF Version : 0221
    Date/Time Taken : 2011:02:03 09:22:51
    Date/Time Digitised : 2011:02:03 09:22:51
    Components Configuration : 01020300
    Shutter Speed (sec) : 1/128
    Aperture : 8.0
    Exposure Bias (EV) : 1.33
    Metering Mode : Multi-Segment
    Flash : Flash not fired; Compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length (mm) : 70.00
    User Comment :
    Subsec Time : 00
    Subsec Time Original : 00
    Subsec Time Digitised : 00
    FlashPix Version : 0100
    Colour Space : sRGB
    Image Width : 5184
    Image Height : 3456
    Focal Plane X Resolution : 5715.5
    Focal Plane Y Resolution : 5808.4
    Focal Plane Res. Unit : Inch
    Custom Render : Normal Process
    Exposure Mode : Auto Exposure
    White Balance : Manual
    Scene Capture Mode : Standard
    edited February 18, 2011
    I wonder if it's a setting somewhere. I just checked some photos from my 7D, and they do specify Exposure Program Manual. They were converted from Raw by LR.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, I do all mine in Raw and are coverted from ACR to photoshop CS4
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited February 18, 2011
    That's odd. It sounds like you're not in the FastStone user interface when you say that you, "... bring up the exif from the list and also in Properties and then Detail ...". Those things are not in the FastStone interface.

Hi Ziggy,
    I have downloaded FastStone Image Viewer onto my desktop. I open it and select an image and double click and reveals an image on a black background. If you then right click you get a list and scroll down you get 'Image properties Exif' and underneath you get File Properties' and both will not reveal my 'Manual' under Exposure Programme.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited February 18, 2011
    Hi Ziggy,
    I have downloaded FastStone Image Viewer onto my desktop. I open it and select an image and double click and reveals an image on a black background. If you then right click you get a list and scroll down you get 'Image properties Exif' and underneath you get File Properties' and both will not reveal my 'Manual' under Exposure Programme.
    Cheers
    Bob

Hi Bob,

You don't need to right-click on the image, just move the cursor to the right border of the image and a pull-out window will appear. The left tab of that new window, and it should be the default tab, should be the EXIF for the image. (I see that your method makes the same information appear. thumb.gif)

If your Exposure Program information does not show, I agree that is unusual. I don't know what is going on.

Can someone else who has a Canon 7D try to confirm?
    ziggy53
    edited February 18, 2011
    Hi Bob,

You don't need to right-click on the image, just move the cursor to the right border of the image and a pull-out window will appear. The left tab of that new window, and it should be the default tab, should be the EXIF for the image. (I see that your method makes the same information appear. thumb.gif)

If your Exposure Program information does not show, I agree that is unusual. I don't know what is going on.

Can someone else who has a Canon 7D try to confirm?

Yes Ziggy I agree with what you say. Every type of Exif I put up and click on a 7D image it will not show the mode under Exposure Programme. I know from the previous post with Denise, there is no problem. However, this is not a big deal but at times it is good to check on what mode one has been shooting on.
    I sure hope someone can come up with an answer.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited February 18, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Exifutils, a command line app, does show the exposure mode from the exif data. Here is what it finds for one of my 7D images.

However the exposure "mode" is actually called "exposure program" in the exif data. Exifutils is a command line app, so it doesn't work from the file explorer, but you can get it here http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/ .

Exposure Time (sec) : 1/100
    F-Number : 8.0
    Exposure Program : Aperture Priority
    ISO Speed : 100
    EXIF Version : 0221
    Date/Time Taken : 2011:02:03 09:22:51
    Date/Time Digitised : 2011:02:03 09:22:51
    Components Configuration : 01020300
    Shutter Speed (sec) : 1/128
    Aperture : 8.0
    Exposure Bias (EV) : 1.33
    Metering Mode : Multi-Segment
    Flash : Flash not fired; Compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length (mm) : 70.00
    User Comment :
    Subsec Time : 00
    Subsec Time Original : 00
    Subsec Time Digitised : 00
    FlashPix Version : 0100
    Colour Space : sRGB
    Image Width : 5184
    Image Height : 3456
    Focal Plane X Resolution : 5715.5
    Focal Plane Y Resolution : 5808.4
    Focal Plane Res. Unit : Inch
    Custom Render : Normal Process
    Exposure Mode : Auto Exposure
    White Balance : Manual
    Scene Capture Mode : Standard

Hi there Dan I have tried to download the above link which you have kindly attached but it will not download for me.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    This is the link for for the windows download.

http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/Downloads/EXIFutilsWin3.05.exe

Hi there Dan I have tried to download the above link which you have kindly attached but it will not download for me.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited February 19, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    This is the link for for the windows download.

http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/Downloads/EXIFutilsWin3.05.exe

Thanks ever so much Dan for the download link which is brilliant.
    Cheers
    Bob