Three Italian Studs

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 20, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
1957 Ferrari 335 Sport

264358392_gobTc-X2-1.jpg

1957 Maserati 150 S

264358453_7VNPJ-X2-1.jpg

1957 Maserati 450 S

This car was created specifically to counter the Ferrari V-12 machines. It had a 4477cc, 4 over-head cam, V-8 engine. It made 420 HP and could propel the car to a top speed of 193 MPH. It is the fastest car Maserati ever made. In 1958, the governing body of international racing decreed a maximum engine displacement of 3 liters....Maserati promptly quit racing rather than comply with the new restrictions.

264359406_v8U5x-X2-1.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Great capture, Tom.... 1957 was a great year, I managed to graduate form HS.:D
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Great capture, Tom.... 1957 was a great year, I managed to graduate form HS.:D

You're right, Gary. '57 was a great year. I got my drivers license and the world was never the same.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Hi Tom,
    I just read your signature line for the first time and had myself a good laugh:)
    I'm partial to red, and these are so sweet, they look juicy, if that makes sense.
    Curious to know what car you were driving when you got your license? I had a starfire that looked like a pinto bean, in the same color and the door would swing open on its own whenever I made a right turn so I had to hold it closed with a rope:) I learned that on day one after getting my drivers license as I exited the pizza hut to drive myself to our highschool football game.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Hi Tom,
    I just read your signature line for the first time and had myself a good laugh:)
    I'm partial to red, and these are so sweet, they look juicy, if that makes sense.
    Curious to know what car you were driving when you got your license? I had a starfire that looked like a pinto bean, in the same color and the door would swing open on its own whenever I made a right turn so I had to hold it closed with a rope:) I learned that on day one after getting my drivers license as I exited the pizza hut to drive myself to our highschool football game.

Hey Liz,

It's really great to hear from you.

When I got my drivers license, my mom gifted to me her 1955 Chevy Belair. It was a pretty slick car....2 door hardtop, stick shift, with the power-pack option. Mom was a slick chick herself and had a lot of car crazy in her blood. She confided in me years later that, when she gave me her car, she had hoped dad would get her a new '57 Corvette. He didn't, but she did get a new '57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop with all the goodies.

I hadn't had my own car but two weeks or so and I promptly ran it into a ditch. It wasn't damaged too much and dad had it all fixed up. He never got on me about that episode....said he had done the same thing when he was younger.

Tom
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Hey Liz,

It's really great to hear from you.

When I got my drivers license, my mom gifted to me her 1955 Chevy Belair. It was a pretty slick car....2 door hardtop, stick shift, with the power-pack option. Mom was a slick chick herself and had a lot of car crazy in her blood. She confided in me years later that, when she gave me her car, she had hoped dad would get her a new '57 Corvette. He didn't, but she did get a new '57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop with all the goodies.

I hadn't had my own car but two weeks or so and I promptly ran it into a ditch. It wasn't damaged too much and dad had it all fixed up. He never got on me about that episode....said he had done the same thing when he was younger.

Tom

Lucky! so lucky.
    Mom sounds like a blast.
    Love "first car" stories.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Beautiful shots -- which of course begin with beautiful models.

Where was this? I'd love to go...

Can you imagine hitting 193 mph in that open-top Maserati? That must have felt like 400 mph. I can't imagine it being very forgiving either -- it's not like traction control is going to kick in and help you in the hammerhead. That's real driving!

Thanks for the pics! clap.gif
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    Beautiful shots -- which of course begin with beautiful models.

Where was this? I'd love to go...

Can you imagine hitting 193 mph in that open-top Maserati? That must have felt like 400 mph. I can't imagine it being very forgiving either -- it's not like traction control is going to kick in and help you in the hammerhead. That's real driving!

Thanks for the pics! clap.gif

Hey Brian,

I'm glad I could share these shots with you.

These shots were taken at the Amelia Island Concours.....held just north of Jacksonville, FL. I'm busy getting ready for this years show, which is about 4 weeks away. The social festivities associated with the show are many and varied ( big-time auction, etc. ) and the cars are shown for one day only. There's a lot to prepare for.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Oh darn .. I thought I was going to see 'Men' rolleyes1.gif

Car's are a second best tho :D Nice looking cars Tom, but what really caught my eye was the man helping his wife/girl friend/significant other put her jacket on. A true gentleman thumb.gif

Enjoyed your car story :D
  • Options
    rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    I'd much rather have my diesel Peugeot 207 hatchback...

(I'm kidding!)

Good shots, and very nice motors.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Oh darn .. I thought I was going to see 'Men' rolleyes1.gif

Car's are a second best tho :D Nice looking cars Tom, but what really caught my eye was the man helping his wife/girl friend/significant other put her jacket on. A true gentleman thumb.gif

Enjoyed your car story :D

Hey Mary,

Yea, I saw the guy and gal jiggling around with the coat. Frankly, it looked a little more nefarious than just him helping her put on her coat and I quickly fled the scene of the crime.:D

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    I'd much rather have my diesel Peugeot 207 hatchback...

(I'm kidding!)

Good shots, and very nice motors.

I hear you, Rob. Besides, if you had one of these cars, you'd just have to get insurance on the darn thing and who needs an extra expense these days. :D

Thanks for the kind words,

Tom