Big Lights Small Things

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited February 18, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Tonight I did another practice round with my new 60" Umbrella. I set these little suckers up and shot them with my not used enough 105 macro. I love that lens. Every time I use it, it makes me smile. I also practiced the tethered capture feature in LR. It works really smooth. First I tried just applying custom white balance. After that I tried exposure, sharpening and the whole deal. Very cool, and very efficient for time. I can see why this is a valuable tool for studio settings. I think I will make it a regular tool in my arsenal.

For these shots I used the giant umbrella to the left as the main light this was setup with a single flash. To add a little fill on the right I used a 12" silver reflector disk.
1190856984_U3hau-L.jpg

1190857109_sX8Ti-L.jpg

1190857270_fxTtX-L.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Turned out good :D

Since I know nothing about setting up lights I'm going to ask a question :D Did the fill light take away any shadow?
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Turned out good :D

Since I know nothing about setting up lights I'm going to ask a question :D Did the fill light take away any shadow?

Yes it did take away a little bit. But it more or less lit up the right side of the objects. The shadow you can see, especially on the Ducati is what I really tried to preserve. So the objects were not just floating in total white. Tilting the reflector one way or another or moving it in and out controls this effect.
    edited February 18, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Yes it did take away a little bit. But it more or less lit up the right side of the objects. The shadow you can see, especially on the Ducati is what I really tried to preserve. So the objects were not just floating in total white. Tilting the reflector one way or another or moving it in and out controls this effect.

I'm going to have to try this. I understand not wanting the floating effect.

Thanks for the info on it :D
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Reflectors are really cool. They are cheap too!

I did a few more this morning while I was still set up.

1191105743_MhGGA-L.jpg

1191105654_wPN36-L.jpg

1191105841_qSG8w-L.jpg

#7 This thing is my lighting nemesis. This time not so bad. I am not in love with it though. It would be a piece of cake on a black BG.
    1191105922_oSR8t-XL.jpg

#8 Something a little bigger
    1191106021_Gxm9h-XL.jpg

#9 Something a lot smaller
    1191106078_6KFJJ-L.jpg

#10 Really Small
    1191106124_aw9Bs-XL.jpg

#11 This thing is tiny. It is what my friend calls a wire midge. Tied up on a #20 hook.
    1191106150_rFkrt-XL.jpg
    edited February 18, 2011
    You and your lens do beautiful work thumb.gif

Those flies are wonderful. So detailed. I need to get a macro lens and a reflector.

Would like to see #7 with a black background. Would certainly show off the details in the bottle.