Options

Deleted Image TombStones

blackgold9blackgold9 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
would you consider adding to the api a "Tombstone" feature?

To save bandwith, I've query all new updates since the last time I checked.
The problem is, if an album/image has been deleted, I don't know.

I'd love it if those calls, specifically the ones where a lastupdated parameter is set, could return an indicator saying "This thing was deleted".

Make it a separate node in the response with a list of ids ex: DeletedItems: { 1234,2314,12313}

Hope you consider it, it will be HUGE for my mobile offline caching.

Comments

• Options
    David PLDavid PL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    blackgold9 wrote: »
    would you consider adding to the api a "Tombstone" feature?

To save bandwith, I've query all new updates since the last time I checked.
    The problem is, if an album/image has been deleted, I don't know.

I'd love it if those calls, specifically the ones where a lastupdated parameter is set, could return an indicator saying "This thing was deleted".

Make it a separate node in the response with a list of ids ex: DeletedItems: { 1234,2314,12313}

Hope you consider it, it will be HUGE for my mobile offline caching.

Has anything happened with this? I am interested in this exact same thing. I am also trying to build a local caching mechanism and I am making full use of the current lastupdated parameter in images, usertree, and albums get methods. It would be great if the "tombstones" feature requested above could be implemented for all the methods that have the lastupdate parameter. Those that come to mind are:
    1. smugmug.images.get
    2. smugmug.usertree.get
    3. smugmug.albums.get

As a current work-around for images.get, I check the "ImageCount" value in the response and, if it is less than the number in my local cache, I make a call to images.get (without setting lastupdated) to rebuild the local cache for that album. However, the tombstone feature would be much more efficient and more reliable. Thanks.
  • Options
    MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    We will consider this for the next version of the API. Thank you for the request.