Painted Desert

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited February 22, 2011 in Landscapes
I happened to pass through the "Beehives" regions of the painted desert within the Petrified Forest, NP last weekend on my way home from photographing birds in NM. I was tired and in a hurry to get home, but decided to go through the park to scope it out anyway. It's a huge and varied area. I only had time for a couple of quick mid-afternoon grab shots, but it's definitely worth going back to spend some quality time there.

1190880097_ecePi-XL.jpg

1191728498_V7wrH-XL.jpg

Comments

• Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    A great color combo, with interesting lines and textures. I really like the composition of the first image. Using the grasses in the foreground as a lead in worked out really well. thumb.gif

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    I've never been in there during winter to see the dead grass. It really adds to the harsh/beauty look of some of the land.
    Side note/question: do you every wish the contrails in the sky weren't there or try to edit them out? I can't stand it when they show up in an otherwise perfect natural scene I've shot.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 19, 2011
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    A great color combo, with interesting lines and textures. I really like the composition of the first image. Using the grasses in the foreground as a lead in worked out really well. thumb.gif

Phil
    Thanks, Phil! Yeah, those grasses almost begged to be included in the comp.
    HDRoamer wrote: »
    I've never been in there during winter to see the dead grass. It really adds to the harsh/beauty look of some of the land.
    Side note/question: do you every wish the contrails in the sky weren't there or try to edit them out? I can't stand it when they show up in an otherwise perfect natural scene I've shot.
    Thanks, HD. Since this was my first time there, it never even occurred to me that it might look different in the summer. On the contrails, I think I've rationalized in my mind that they're ok, especially since I'm too lazy to clone them out. And there's just no escaping them unless one moves to another planet. :giggle

Thanks for the comments, guys! thumb.gif

-joel
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Nice job on these despite the mid afternoon light. I'd love to see what you'd get on a return trip.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Reminds me of the enormous piles of road salt we see around here in the midwest where we get that other white stuff ... snow! The actual shots do seem a little flat but what do you expect int he middle of the day.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited February 21, 2011
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Nice job on these despite the mid afternoon light. I'd love to see what you'd get on a return trip.
    Thanks, Bryan!
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the enormous piles of road salt we see around here in the midwest where we get that other white stuff ... snow! The actual shots do seem a little flat but what do you expect int he middle of the day.
    Thanks, David. Those are about as punched-up as I'm comfortable with as it is. There's really not all that much contrast in that terrain.
  • chrisrarmsteadchrisrarmstead Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2011
    Where was the pictures taken at? Thanks in advance.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    The first one is great. I bet you will do an impressive job with the right light. ;-)

Cheers,
  • jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I was just about to post the same picture...
    Kdog, it's amazing. I haven't been on here in a while, but just finished processing shots from our last vacation (Oct. 2010). Among the pictures I was going to post was one nearly identical to yours...

1192576656_s8pDd-X3.jpg

I have others, but I was going to start a new thread.

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/Travel/Four-Corners-October-2010/14330552_75v54
    Steve

http://www.steverucci.com

Use this code to get a discount when joining Smugmug: FmsEHhiPzBxic
    edited February 21, 2011
    Ha! That's amazing indeed, Steve. Great minds think alike I guess. :giggle

BTW, what's interesting is that yours is shot at 28mm, and mine is shot at 70mm. mwink.gif

Oh, and pretty amazing that the skies are almost identical. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Those are so interesting. Looks like a layered cake :D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Great shots Joel. clap.gif

Haven't been through there in several years but have been wanting to get back through there. Thanks for bringing it back up. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion