Where we started

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited March 30, 2011 in People
Well, I'm not a pro by the true definition as in full time and income but I do consider myself to be a good armature photographer and I've learned a lot over the years thanks to places like this.
There are many people here at various levels of skill and or status as a photographer so I thought it might be fun to perhaps start a thread to show what we did with regards to people shooting with our first DSLR.

I started close to home with my kids of course :D

Shot in early 2007 with my then brand new D80:

1191787971_CTzVp-L.jpg

If this sounds lame and no one wants to play that's good and fine wit me too.....:rofl
I'm easy like that :D
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Although on this site I am a "people" enthusiast...I am also a car enthusiast. And I remember the first time using my DSLR like it was yesterday...August 2008

typer2.jpg
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Just after Christmas 2008 upgraded my powershot S3 to a rebel XT and a 50mm f/1.4 in preparation for my second baby. Low light and budget were top concerns as my wife refused to allow flash with the baby for the first six months or so.
    This is my, now three old, when he was 3 days old in the neo-natal intensive care unit.

Here is a link to a thread I just posted of the same little guy celebrating his third birthday a few days ago.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=190916

839418729_P2dSY-XL.jpg
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    That's a powerful shot. ^^
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Always fun to share our first experiences isn't it.
    Toshido that is indeed a powerful image.
    Great to see him on his third birthday too.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    It's kind of funny because I mostly look at that shot and see the technical difficulties and flaws. Like the skin tones and colours were simply so awful I could not even begin to salvage them. Originally shot in JPG, before I went RAW so I am limited in efforts to fix it to begin with. I actually added some grain to it for a more gritty look.
    But as for him being in an isolette and in NICU, I was prepped and ready for it through my first kid and knew what I was getting into it. My wife is Diabetic so we knew he would be going straight into NICU, and all that stuff is simply to monitor him and help him breath. He swallowed some amniotic fluid which the pediatrician said is common with C-sections. So despite looking like he is barely hanging in there he was never in any actual serious danger.
    Both my boys stabilized their blood sugars quickly and with no issues, so we were lucky in that regards.
    edited February 20, 2011
    Toshido I think many photographers are not comfortable showing their first works for this reason plus I realize that many made the transition from film to digital and not necessarily from a point and shoot camera....
    Technically i did as well because I used film before digital but I didn't dive in as extensively when I shot film.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • dmphotodmphoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 22, 2011
    Hey, Rey, I wanna play this game!

First image, circa 1989 made with my first SLR--not DSLR--an Olympus OM1:

738913508_pLfsG-L-1.jpg

Second image, circa 1999, made with my first DSLR (1.6MP Sony DSC-D770):

1225543870_Y9mhw-L.jpg

That's my adorable daughter, Sarita in both shots.

I bought that OM1 new in 1975, and still have it.

The Sony DSLR was an early pellicle mirror design, with a glorious 1.6 megapixel imager. It would only save about 12 tiff files on the original 16MB memory stick, so I shot JPG most of the time. Not a bad camera in its day, but it's amazing how far we've come since then.

Ciao!
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Not my first image...I purchased my 20D towards the end of winter 2005? I think...

This is a portrait I took of my mom and my sons Eli and Owen.

21754281_pQJzP-L.jpg

Previous to purchasing a DSLR I had photographed portraits and weddings professionally with a Hasselblad. I was no newbie photographer, but learning not to focus recompose was a skill the DSLR taught me. You can see it in this portrait...my mom is soft, but she didn't mind. I really SHOULD scan more of my portrait MF stuff, but it is such a pain, and I feel like my craft has come a long way since then, but it is always good to look back.
    edited March 23, 2011
    dmphoto wrote: »
    Hey, Rey, I wanna play this game!

First image, circa 1989 made with my first SLR--not DSLR--an Olympus OM1:

738913508_pLfsG-L-1.jpg

Second image, circa 1999, made with my first DSLR (1.6MP Sony DSC-D770):

1225543870_Y9mhw-L.jpg

That's my adorable daughter, Sarita in both shots.

I bought that OM1 new in 1975, and still have it.

The Sony DSLR was an early pellicle mirror design, with a glorious 1.6 megapixel imager. It would only save about 12 tiff files on the original 16MB memory stick, so I shot JPG most of the time. Not a bad camera in its day, but it's amazing how far we've come since then.

Ciao!

Love the film shot D!
    Nothing like film I say....
    Amazing eyes and tones

I'm also amazed at how fast technology has moved since the first digital cameras came out. I wish I would have done more back then with film and what not but I know I didn't get into digital because of the cost of the bodies....

Thanks for sharing :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited March 23, 2011
    Blurmore wrote: »
    Not my first image...I purchased my 20D towards the end of winter 2005? I think...

This is a portrait I took of my mom and my sons Eli and Owen.

21754281_pQJzP-L.jpg

Previous to purchasing a DSLR I had photographed portraits and weddings professionally with a Hasselblad. I was no newbie photographer, but learning not to focus recompose was a skill the DSLR taught me. You can see it in this portrait...my mom is soft, but she didn't mind. I really SHOULD scan more of my portrait MF stuff, but it is such a pain, and I feel like my craft has come a long way since then, but it is always good to look back.

That's a lovely portrait and a great memory captured.
    Moving from medium format to APS-C must have been quite a change eh?
    Thanks for sharing
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    This was taken, I think, in March of 2005 with my brand new Canon dRebel (the 300D) that I no longer have and my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (which I still use on a regular basis on my 5DII :D). Storm coming down the James River in VA. Seriously, this was taken on my first excursion out of the house with the camera / lens.

55956016_dNLui-L.jpg

This one was taken 9 Apr 2006 with my, then, new Canon 20D and EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 (see you can take decent photos with garbage lenses)
    319290877_nNUfx-L.jpg
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    oooh fun...

these were my very first attempts at a "photo shoot" with my daughter almost 2 years ago, right after my first dslr purchase..a D40. some of you might remember these, (and one of them is my avatar still.. lol) These aren't the worst...but man i cringe when i look at some of the stuff i've taken when i first got into this. especially when i look at a shot and remember a time when i thought it was GOOD. hell i cringe still at stuff from even 2 months ago. i'm not sure i'll ever be satisfied rolleyes1.gif

534920164_czP3f-M.jpg

534918151_CHs3t-M.jpg

509666988_63EfM-M.jpg

and one of my all time favorite photos..I will always love this shot iloveyou.gif
    534919965_phroW-M.jpg
  • canamcanam Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    My First
    I have lurked here forever and have learned a lot. A couple of yrs ago I went and bought a used D70 and walked down to one of the summer street fairs in L.B. It was very hot that evening and it is evident in the picture.
    I have now purchased a D7000 and am moving forward I hope.
    :photo
  • canamcanam Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    First Time
    One more from that night of first timers from the D70
    :photo
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    I think the challenge said DSLR not SLR so here is a little family portrait shot with a D50 in 2006. Cute baby aint she?:D

1232660281_Hr5A2-XL.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Man am I lovin seein these!
    tom wise
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Everything else is on film, so here starts my digital life:

637751474_h8xq6-L-5.jpg

741653010_u4Xa4-M-1.jpg

1184160777_p4BoK-M.jpg

1221854449_nLkdZ-M.jpg

1190273517_F92Mj-M.jpg
    edited March 29, 2011
    I'm really enjoying coming here and seeing what is added...
    Thanks for playing guys :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    New Camera and "new" Violin August 2009
    My neighbor's daughter came home from her summer vacation with a violin from her mentor. That summer I bought my Nikon D60. We were both in love with our new toys!
    620719106_sYs7i-M-4.jpg

620730292_JnmdG-M-4.jpg
    620719830_azNJu-M-4.jpg
    edited March 30, 2011
    Lovely shots :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo