Options

BB Strobes - Learned a new lesson last night

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited February 26, 2011 in Sports
First the setting... We had an in town rival game last night. The place was completely jammed to the rafters. Everyone stood the entire game in the bleachers. Standing room only in a balcony also. You couldn't even hear on the floor it was so loud.

The gym has TERRIBLE lighting, old recycling issues, WB issues etc... I had intended to use strobes to get over this. I set things up for the frosh and soph games and it worked great. However, I clamped my flashes on the guardrails and I failed to plan for such a big crowd last night. For the varsity game, people were standing in front of my flashes all night. Plan A out the window. I had to go to plan B and change my lens etc.

Next item on buying list for next season.... 13' light stands.
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Yup. I learned that lesson early in the season at my old HS. Which is why I used big Manfrotto 13 ft stands now. I had 4 lights set up last night though, 2 on the rails (thankfully was safe up there, no way for people to get in front of them) that I used and 2 on the stands that my friend used.

Today, will be a different story. No lights.. I'm sad. I'm shooting at Valparaiso University for the ESPN Bracket Buster game. Unless someone leaves their lights on and doesn't mind me using them.. lol..
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Dumb question, please forgive me...

Do they really let you use flashes at these games? Isn't it completely distracting to the players to get flashed just as they are trying to make the shot?

I guess I've never noticed anyone taking flash photography at a basketball game before. Maybe I wasn't paying attention?
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »

Do they really let you use flashes at these games? Isn't it completely distracting to the players to get flashed just as they are trying to make the shot?

I guess I've never noticed anyone taking flash photography at a basketball game before. Maybe I wasn't paying attention?

You can use flash and the reason is already given by saying you've never noticed anyone using flash. Players don't notice either.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »

The flash is an off camera flash. It is from the side and it is low power. I am now shooting at 1/4 power. I haven't had a single complaint. The first time I used flash at the school I primarily shoot for, the AD asked me about the flash just because it was the first time. He then cleared it with the coach and the refs and since then I haven't heard a word from anyone.
  • Options
    DonLDonL Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I would have thought the same thing. It is good information to find out the flashes are not bothersome to the players, refs and coaches....I would imagine your pictures are much better with flash than without.... thanks for posting this...
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Most states athletic associations have rules on their websites regarding photography, use of flash, etc. In Indiana, this is their document pertaining to the use of flash:

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/News%20Media/2010-11/StrobePolicy.pdf

Which basically says, they are OK as long as they are not in a direct line of sight as seen from on the court. If so, it says officials should work with the photographer to find another placement.. Never had that issue yet.

However, guy I've seen shooting direct flash on baseline is a no-no. Says should be bounced if on baseline.
  • Options
    JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    As Jim was so kind to point out they do allow it some places but not all places. You will get away with more in a HS than college or pro level.
    If you are not line of sight it doesnt really bother the players but if you do use strobes of any sort make sure you carry insurance! Someone trips and falls and blames it on being temporarily blinded and its on you. Yes this can will and has happened. There was also the photog a few years back who got a wrongful death suit filed against him for the use of strobes at a wrestling meet were they were strictly prohibited. Kid had epilepsy and the strobes triggered convulsions and the kid died. His lawyer tried to argue that it wasnt his fault the kid was ill but that was a moot point as the strobes were prohibited and had he followed the rules none of them would have been in court in the first place. Cost his insurance company $2 million and he had to cough up the other $500K
    Bottom line carry insurance and know your venues.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    College/Pro I'd expect even MORE flash. Since most pro/college locations are professionally lit by the local media...
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    I just cannot ever go back to shooting basketball without flashes again. It is a night and day difference.

I am looking for good flash stands but I am worried about flash stands falling over. I think I can use ties to the guardrails to avoid any unfortunate circumstances. My freshman team plays in an accessory gym that has bleachers on one side that I can use but nothing to tie the light stand to on the other side. It would be dangerous and I don't see a way to have strobes at those games.

I am thinking about the Manfrotto 3363 13' stands.

Jim, when you get the stand to 13', is the stand wobbly at all?
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    Depends on how much weight you have at the top. Laughing.gif. Last night would NOT had been approved by most people. Had 2 speed lights, one secured with a Manfrotto Multi-Clamp, one on an umbrella bracket and a third Norman from the local news guy who didn't lug his light stands in since he had to park several blocks away. All would probably had been fine except the Norman battery packs... didn't help.. But yeah, I make sure I put some garbage cans next to them so people don't "oops" into them. Also thinking someone posted about using "DANGER, HIGH VOLTAGE" tape to mark off the area... That should keep people away...

One little experiment I did last night was fun. So I had 4 flashes, 2 set to channel 3, 2 set to channel 4, each side of the baseline had a channel 3 & 4 light set to 1/4 power. When my friend wasn't using my other lights, I switched to channel 1. Holy crap! I went from 1/200@4.5 - ISO 1000 to 1/200 @ 4, ISO 400. I think that may be something I do in the future at 1/4 power with the flashes, just to give me 1/4 power total but still get quicker recycle times...