Long Exposures and Digital Cameras.

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited January 30, 2007 in Technique
As most of you know, taking long exposures of the sky or anything past 15-30 seconds results in quite a lot of 'noise' - Hot Pixels. I have yet to figure out a way to take LONG exposures, over 4 minutes, without completely deteriorizing the shot with hot pixels and making it not at all desirable. Any suggestions, or should I stick with Film for that, and have it professionally developed for scanning quality?
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    As most of you know, taking long exposures of the sky or anything past 15-30 seconds results in quite a lot of 'noise' - Hot Pixels. I have yet to figure out a way to take LONG exposures, over 4 minutes, without completely deteriorizing the shot with hot pixels and making it not at all desirable. Any suggestions, or should I stick with Film for that, and have it professionally developed for scanning quality?

some of the best work, is done with multiple images, stacked.

take a look at luben's site for some stacking tutes. also, look at shay's tribute in light, and moonsteps shots in his fine art gallery. believe it or not, shay's moonsteps was done with a sony f717 ... not known for low noise! and i own a large print of "tribute in light" and man, is it buttery smooth, yet lots of details, too.

hope this helps.
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    His tutorials section is currently under construction. What is stacking and how do I do it?
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    i'd like to know as well, i've seen some people mention stacking, but i'm not sure what that means, is it where you take the same picture but stack it multiple times on top of itself? that is what it sounds like.
    Yeah, that's what it is, but how do you do it in photoshop?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    I'm going to get really technical here, so hold on...

The 20D (and other cameras, I assume) have this long exposure thingie, that you set in a custom menu. It takes a second shot of the same exposure but without opening the shutter dealie, and somehow finds all the noise and hot pixel things and takes them out.

Or something like that...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    DavidTO wrote:

The 20D (and other cameras, I assume) have this long exposure thingie, that you set in a custom menu. It takes a second shot of the same exposure but without opening the shutter dealie, and somehow finds all the noise and hot pixel things and takes them out.

lol real technical!rolleyes1.gif
    DavidTO wrote:

My pentax has that too, noise reduction. The problem with this is it kills photo time and battery life, by taking the same length exposure of a 'dark frame'. The darkframe won't cut down on any noise if the photo is a certain length though. It's quite useless over 4 minutes.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins

I don't have a whole lot of experience with long exposures, but one thing that you could try to reduce noise is to go into LAB mode and apply a gaussian blur to the a and b channels only. Try 3 pixels. If you select those two channels and then type ~ you will be effecting only those channels but seeing all three. This can greatly reduce or eliminate color noise.

Luminance noise is much trickier, of course, and will almost always result in lowered detail.

A search here on dgrin for "stacking" will yield a bunch of results.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    lol real technical!rolleyes1.gif
    Actually fishy, your D70 has the same and it works quite well, not quite as well as stcking but still a very respectable result.

If there is still noise after that, use Neat Image (my fav) or Noise Ninja

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    XO-Studios wrote:
    Actually fishy, your D70 has the same and it works quite well, not quite as well as stcking but still a very respectable result.

XO,
    fishy? huh? you can use my name, it's kasey.
    XO-Studios wrote:

XO,
    XO, i've said it already multiple times. Real long exposures cause LOTS of noise. If you need an example of a 2 hour long exposure, here you go.
    (I also did a darkframe shot to reduce noise).

freakinnoise0kx.jpg

Neatimage won't make a lick of difference, I assure you that.

I want to get shots like this, but clean, and the right color, like what you'd get with film.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    Yeah, that's what it is, but how do you do it in photoshop?
    Hi Maverick
    Here's some info on stacking. Hope this helps.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    Thanks guys, those are great sites!
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    My 2 bits
    If you plan on star trail shots, stacking won't do a bit of good because the scene is changing. You need a static scene for stacking to work.

My suggestion is to do this kind of shot when it is very cold outside. Long exposures when the temperatures are high will result in terrible noise. Low temperatures (the lower the better) will give you much better results.

And get yourself in a darker location too, the moon and or light pollution isn't helping here at all.

Getting the color right is going to be a job for white balance adjustments or shooting in RAW and fine tuning the white balance in post. The farther you can get from city light pollution, the better, because it taints and tints the shots something fierce in long exposures.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    And get yourself in a darker location too, the moon and or light pollution isn't helping here at all.
    There was a very small sliver of moon, oh, and I'm about oh, 5,000 miles above the last light pollution, as well as about 75miles away from any light pollution in all directions.

I don't know, it may be that the chip is CCD, I hear those are bad with hot pixels.
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    XO, i've said it already multiple times. Real long exposures cause LOTS of noise. If you need an example of a 2 hour long exposure, here you go.
    (I also did a darkframe shot to reduce noise).

Neatimage won't make a lick of difference, I assure you that.

I want to get shots like this, but clean, and the right color, like what you'd get with film.
    I am not debating that film is better, but by all means, goto this group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nikon-D70/ and do a search for astro photography. There are people out there using a D70 straight up getting way way better results than that.

Also a D70 tip, Nikon Capture (and PS CS as well with a work around) will allow you to make a noise reduction compensation shot ones, and have the software subtract that. I might have the terminology wrong, it might be called something else, but principle is the same.

Also, I gave it a go, and while not straight Neat Image, I think a lot can be done, see attached.

XO,

ps. before Gallileo, people many many times said the earth was flat.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    Ok, that is good news. Shoot when there is no moon, and work on the white balance or shoot RAW and fine tune in post for best color results.

CCD or CMOS, they are both affected by temperature. Get the temps down low. The longer the exposure, the colder the camera needs to be.
    There was a very small sliver of moon, oh, and I'm about oh, 5,000 miles above the last light pollution, as well as about 75miles away from any light pollution in all directions.

I don't know, it may be that the chip is CCD, I hear those are bad with hot pixels.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    Neither was I debating on whether film was 'better' than digital, I never once said that, did I? I said that film doesn't have hot pixels or sensor noise, because well, obviously, it doesn't generate electrical heat.
    Also, I don't shoot with Nikon (You can check my profile or even look at my signature), I shoot with Pentax. So that article really doesn't help me much.

Also, I don't want to lose that much detail, you lost half the stars in the sky. Granted the noise is gone, but there's no actual improvement on getting the clear star trails that I was looking for.

ps. before Gallileo, people many many times said the earth was flat. <-- not quite sure how I should take that comment.

P.S., on a side note, go out tonight, there's no moon from waht I see. Take a 2 hour exposure and please post your results. :)
    XO-Studios wrote:
    I am not debating that film is better, but by all means, goto this group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nikon-D70/ and do a search for astro photography. There are people out there using a D70 straight up getting way way better results than that.

Also a D70 tip, Nikon Capture (and PS CS as well with a work around) will allow you to make a noise reduction compensation shot ones, and have the software subtract that. I might have the terminology wrong, it might be called something else, but principle is the same.

Also, I gave it a go, and while not straight Neat Image, I think a lot can be done, see attached.

XO,

ps. before Gallileo, people many many times said the earth was flat.
    Ok, that is good news. Shoot when there is no moon, and work on the white balance or shoot RAW and fine tune in post for best color results.

CCD or CMOS, they are both affected by temperature. Get the temps down low. The longer the exposure, the colder the camera needs to be.
    Yeah, I'll try that this winter in the sierras sometime Shay, maybe my results will be better. The temperatures will be a lot lower vs. the 50F summer nights (-10 and lower temperatures at night do occur). I'll have to post the results. If that can get me the desired effect, then it'll rock.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
  • spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    Caught this in July in Northern Idaho. It was probeably still 70+ degrees outside.
    30395076-L.jpg

File: IMG_8175.CR2
    File size: 7,042KB
    Image Serial Number: 000-8175
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D
    Camera serial number: 0420102957
    Firmware: Firmware 1.1.0
    Owner: unknown
    Date/Time: 2005:07:28 23:51:38
    Shutter speed: 1878 sec
    Aperture: 4
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Evaluative
    Drive mode: Single frame shooting
    ISO: 100
    Lens: 18 to 55mm
    Focal length: 18mm
    AF mode: Manual Focus
    Image size: 2336 x 3504
    Image quality: Raw
    White balance: Auto
    Color space: sRGB
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Contrast: Normal
    Tone: Normal
    Custom Functions:
    CFn 1: SET button function when shooting: Change parameters
    CFn 2: Long exposure noise reduction: On
    CFn 5: AF-assist beam/Flash firing: Only ext. flash emits/Fires
    CFn 8: ISO expansion: On
    CFn 11: Menu button display position: Previous
    CFn 13: AF point selection: Multi-controller direct
    CFn 15: Shutter curtain sync: 2nd-curtain sync
    edited September 25, 2005
    From what I've heard, CMOS sensors are far more capable of long exposures than CCD. *shrug*. It's what I've read at a few places.
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    My pentax has that too, noise reduction. The problem with this is it kills photo time and battery life, by taking the same length exposure of a 'dark frame'. The darkframe won't cut down on any noise if the photo is a certain length though. It's quite useless over 4 minutes.
    Hey Tyler,
    You are going to have lots of noise as that is the norm. I've seen some astro photography that doesn't look like it's worth anything till you post process it. That's when the image really begins to shine. There are techniques and applications out there that will get you what you want. Search for astrophotography and processing. There is more to the processing than just noise removal so be prepared to do some PP.

I found my info when I was researching the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and found out it's a wonderful astro lens.

Good Hunting,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

edited September 26, 2005
    Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try, and I'll try shooting in RAW. Perhaps I'll get lucky and manage to figure out how to do it correctly. I've seen great shots of startrails with digital cameras, but never could figure out, and was pretty close to giving up on using digital for the trails.
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Luben also uses a tecnique where he blends a series of shorter exposures,
    have a look at the zion star trail shot, here he blended 30 x 1 minute f2.8 exposures to get the star trails....

Luben, if you read this your new site's looking sweet thumb.gif
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I tried a 1-hr exposure with noise reduction (NR) and without having seen this thread I came back with a very poor image. The NR does remove nonuniformities in the CMOS sensor but there are a lot of "hot" pixels in my 20D and these register the same value in both the image and the dark frame so I ended up with a bunch of outages.

I'll try "stacking" the next time. That should take care of preventing hot pixels from saturating.... My guess is that if you use this technique it's actually better to turn off NR because the pixels will just read as noisy and the stacking procedure will effectively clean them up. Otherwise you can end up with a similar effect as having outages and that would be harder to fix.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also, are there suitable interpolation algorithms out there for Photoshop that can fill-in these outages? I'm trying to see if I can recover my shot.

Erich
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    erich6 wrote:
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I tried a 1-hr exposure with noise reduction (NR) and without having seen this thread I came back with a very poor image. The NR does remove nonuniformities in the CMOS sensor but there are a lot of "hot" pixels in my 20D and these register the same value in both the image and the dark frame so I ended up with a bunch of outages.

I'll try "stacking" the next time. That should take care of preventing hot pixels from saturating.... My guess is that if you use this technique it's actually better to turn off NR because the pixels will just read as noisy and the stacking procedure will effectively clean them up. Otherwise you can end up with a similar effect as having outages and that would be harder to fix.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also, are there suitable interpolation algorithms out there for Photoshop that can fill-in these outages? I'm trying to see if I can recover my shot.

Erich

I would love to see the 1 hour photo. Best I've done with the 20D is 20 mins or so.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2007
    DJKennedy wrote:
    I would love to see the 1 hour photo. Best I've done with the 20D is 20 mins or so.

DJ,

Here's a shot of Luben's which is 90 minutes (9x 10 mins exposures)

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos