Melancholy Tree

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited February 22, 2011 in Landscapes
I think I rushed the composition on this one a bit. I think it could have been better. Didn't think much of the shot at first, but I was practicing some workflow stuff and used it for a print. Turned out better then I thought.

C&C are most welcome!

1192719944_4Behz-L.jpg
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    The composition is quite good! I like the foreground slope and how it accentuates the presence of the tree.
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    The composition is quite good! I like the foreground slope and how it accentuates the presence of the tree.

Thanks! I was just thinking after the fact that the bottom left of the tree overlaps a bit with the hill side. I may have been better able to isolate the tree in the image.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Stunning shot. I love the slope. I'm not sure if total isolation would do that much more for the shot, but possibly. It's already quite a bit stunning as is. But I know what you mean....perfection is always nice to achieve.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I agree--stunning! I don't need the isolation either--the overlap ties the whole scene together for me. I wish the sky were a bit more dramatic but we take what we get. I think the composition and B&W conversion are both terrific.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Thanks! I was just thinking after the fact that the bottom left of the tree overlaps a bit with the hill side. I may have been better able to isolate the tree in the image.

Great shot. I agree with the others, the fact that the branches overlap accentuate how low hanging they are -- adds to the "melancholy" feel IMO. Almost like it can't quite hold them up high enough. :D
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I like it.