Best Way to Loose THIS Background

BigFrankBigFrank Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 21, 2011 in Finishing School
Hello All,

I'm sorry if this is a very simple question - I'm not that advanced on Photoshop....

Basically, I have a series of product shots that I took myself where the background hasn't come out so well (I want a nice crisp white background).

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to describe the best way to turn this background white. I have Photoshop CS4 on my home PC, but also have access to CS5 if something is easier in a later version...

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions.

FrankIMG_0593.JPG

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Step 1:

Go buy this book:

http://www.kelbytraining.com/product/photoshop-cs4-for-digital-photographers.html

There is also a CS5 one, buy which ever matches the version of Photoshop you wish to use most often. This book has step by step instructions to do what you want to do.

Step 2:

While waiting to get the book, use the select tool (or Magic Wand) to select the shoe, carefully getting the edge. Should be easy with your image, as the Magic Wand should work well. You should be using Layers here, I won't provide specifics. If you don't know what that is, wait for the book.

Step 3:

Inverse your selection

Step 4:

Fill with white, or adjust the background to brighten, whatever.
  • BigFrankBigFrank Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2011
    Thanks, I'll give that a go and checkout the book!!

All the best

Frank
    cmason wrote: »
    Step 1:

Go buy this book:

http://www.kelbytraining.com/product/photoshop-cs4-for-digital-photographers.html

There is also a CS5 one, buy which ever matches the version of Photoshop you wish to use most often. This book has step by step instructions to do what you want to do.

Step 2:

While waiting to get the book, use the select tool (or Magic Wand) to select the shoe, carefully getting the edge. Should be easy with your image, as the Magic Wand should work well. You should be using Layers here, I won't provide specifics. If you don't know what that is, wait for the book.

Step 3:

Inverse your selection

Step 4:

Fill with white, or adjust the background to brighten, whatever.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 20, 2011
    Here is a thread about replacing backgrounds with CS4 - but if you have the background selected, you can just slide the white point slider in the Levels Command to get a white background also, or use the Gradient tool to create a graduated fade from white to black, or any other color.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    One thought about a purely white background for your image; as the sole of the boot is white, you might want to use a graduated background so that you have a contrast under the boot. Just a thought...

Anthony.
    edited February 21, 2011
    Thanks for the tip Pathfinder, I will give that a go too.

Cheers

Frank
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Here is a thread about replacing backgrounds with CS4 - but if you have the background selected, you can just slide the white point slider in the Levels Command to get a white background also.
    edited February 21, 2011
    Good point Anthony - thank you!!

Frank
    Anthony wrote: »
    One thought about a purely white background for your image; as the sole of the boot is white, you might want to use a graduated background so that you have a contrast under the boot. Just a thought...

Anthony.