Opinions wanted...

PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited February 24, 2011 in Landscapes
In January I drove down to Bass Harbor here is Maine had some nice light, I've only now gotten a chance to work though them, some C&C would be greatly appreciated. Good, bad I can take it and want to learn.

1193069216_CjCGD-L-1.jpg

1193069612_ozvRT-L-1.jpg

1193070142_yRf5L-L-1.jpg

1193070236_GktqX-L-1.jpg

1193070709_rKhPm-L-1.jpg

1193071179_gAM5G-L-1.jpg

1193071558_2eNaY-L-1.jpg

1193071947_Uc4BT-L-1.jpg

1193068663_3xjDn-L-1.jpg

Comments

• cb4photocb4photo Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I like #3 the best. I have almost the same photo, just without the snow. Nice job...thumb.gif
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I like the comp, but they could all benefit from some interesting sky. That would also make them great HDR candidates.
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, more clouds were definatly on my wishlist that day. Its one of my favrite spots... in the off season when its cold/ icy is the only way to get privacy to shoot freely down there. I've been experimenting with HDR but haven't had any sucess, any advice?
    edited February 21, 2011
    here's a couple or past shots with better sky
    November
    433578990_4huMW-L-1.jpg

March
    499963190_DFL9e-L-1.jpg
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    In these types of landscape shots with this lighting, I really like using a vivid camera profile. Maybe you already have, but boosting the saturation and even vibrance a small amount can help make it pop.

As for HDR, I've started taking all my landscape shots as brackets so that I can HDR them if appropriate. Even handheld at the right shutter speed, you can get great results.
    edited February 21, 2011
    Thanks, I've been taking some bracketed shots, I think my HDR woeS are in the post procesing, I've used photoshop, is there a better software package, or some guidence to get the best results from photoshop?
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Thanks, I've been taking some bracketed shots, I think my HDR woeS are in the post procesing, I've used photoshop, is there a better software package, or some guidence to get the best results from photoshop?

Try the demo of Photomatix Pro. Worth the cost for me, and there are great online tutorials and resources.

I haven't used any other HDR software.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Peter, I second the nod to Photomatix Pro. I use it often and really like the results. There are lots of users on DGrin also. As for the shots, I like #1 and #8 for their comp and lighting. Most of the others are too bright and orange for my taste, although the compositions are generally good. The lighting in #5 is nice but I think the vertical shot is too limiting--I don't get the sense of place as I do in the other shots. My only time at Bass was during the 09 Shootout but it was early afternoon--lousy light and too many people. I never went with the early morning crowd and regret that. I hope to get up there again--I understand why this is your favorite location. And I'm glad you take such advantage of being close! Question: are you still kayaking? :D

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 21, 2011
    Thanks for the input the comments are very helpful. Yes still paddling can't wait for the spring, havent been on the water for a couple of months to much snow, and to busy with my EMT class I take the Maine Intermediate written exam on march 11.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 22, 2011
    good series, like #3 best

agree try photomatix demo, but dont overcook the gamma slider!

phil
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Good luck with your exam! BTW, I also like the two you posted from other visits to Bass--nice lighting in both of those, although the sun is really burned out. The comp in the second one (March) is the best, IMO. You got really low and the view up to the lighthouse is nice.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com