Options

Networking advice & technique

WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited February 22, 2011 in Weddings
As most of us know, marketing ourselves to the wedding industry is huge, and some say, even more important that marketing to brides. Brides come and go, but vendors are always there.

I'm asking for some advice on networking. I mean, some "real world" advice on how to go about it. For instance, I'm personally preparing to go hit the streets, and stop by every tux shop and florist, etc, that I can find. My question is mainly, what type of wording would I use to make myself interesting to them, and not be just another wedding photographer trying to get "in with them"? What can I offer THEM? It would seem rather lame just to walk in and chat for a minute, and then hand them a stack of my cards, and ask them to please refer me. Lame, right? Or not?

So what can be done? Even online, if I wanted to network with a few vendors who I find online, what can be said?

I think this thread could be very informative for many others besides myself. Of course, it goes without saying, that some basic salesmanship and confidence is going to help out a lot. Assuming I have those basic elements, what are some practical things that can be said, or offered?
Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
My Weddings WebsiteBlog

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    I have not done much of networking for the last couple of years, however, this year i will have to, it's a full time job now. Previously i have joined Chambers of Commerce and couple of other wedding related organizations here in town. I make Mondays and Tuesdays my networking days, i go visit vendors i know and stop to introduce myself to vendors I'm yet to know. Mostly it's floral shops, catering companies and some venues and cake people. Not all are friendly, some are friendly but fake, and some are very nice.
    I don't find it lame to chat with a vendor, what is the big deal? You might be the perfect thing for them! I'm sure they have other photographers, what makes you different? Good question. You can offer them to display a large print on the wall, or anything of that nature, just don't leave and never come back. The more they see you, the more likely they will remember you and maybe you meet some brides while you there, hey, you never know! Bring cookies next time you visit :)

I have signed up for 3 bridal shows this year (they are important not to just throw your name out there, but also to meet other vendors).
    Good luck!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    One that worked well for me is just to pay them a commission.

I worded it in general terms that I figured that instead of paying the large corporates that own the bridal magazines, I rather give my advertising budget money to other small business owners like myself. As each client costs me money to get them in the door in advertising, I may as well spend that budget with other business's and help support the local industry and commounity.

I have some referal cards made up for the vendor which has an offer for the B&G to come in as " VIP CLIENTS" Of xxx floral/apparel/cake/reception business and allows me to track where the referal came from.
    For every client that BOOKS me, I pay them a commission ( percentage of my advertising budget) You can decide what that is worth to you and offer this accordingly.

The kicker is, I can tell the businesses that they can give these cards to all their walk in's and even if they don't use their business, if they book me then I'll still give them my advertising budget percentage so they get something back on what they spent to bring the clients into their store.

This is just a kickback plain and simple but I found that putting it in these terms puts a whole load more honourable face on it and the real beauty is you only pay for what you get after you have got it rather than paying thousands for a mag ad up front that has no gaurantee of getting a return at all.

the other thing I tell the vendors is I don't care if they already hand out card or promote other competitors, no couple goes to just one place, they always look around to see what they like and suits their budget so I'm happy if they just give my card out with everyone elses so the people are aware of me to start with.
    I have found that also adds a great air of credibility to you and your business.

If you have 10 businesses refering you this way and each business ONLY gets one enquiry a MONTH coming through your door, thats 10 potential clients a month and your only advertising expense is for the ones that actualy book you. If you get one a week, then your business is made right there on that alone.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    One that worked well for me is just to pay them a commission.

Nothing gets you better referrals than a kickback. thumb.gif

This has been without a doubt our best marketing tool. Keep it fresh and work with each vendor to determine what works best for them. Every kickback should be tailored made to that vendor.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Hmm, I'm liking where this is going. I've thought of offering kickbacks. That's some good old fashioned networking there. I was wondering if offering them would make me seem desperate, but I think if done right, as above mentioned, this could really be a big thing. I'm going to begin designing some referral cards.

Glort, if you have any more details on what such a card could say, I'm all ears, but that may be asking too much.

Keep the replies coming. I'd love to hear more.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    if you have any more details on what such a card could say

What we do is offer to print new business cards for the new "partner". One with their business on one side, one with ours on the other. No confusing where it came from.

Business cards are very cheap and easy to pass out. Also makes the new business partner feel as if they are getting a little something extra.

Take some samples along to show the perspective partner how it will look. No cost to them will get their attention fast.

Remember this is about them (the potential partner) not about you.

Every business owner up and down the road has people asking something from them. If you can show them how you are going to help them with minimal to no effort on their part, you will get their attention.

They are already passing out business cards, if yours will piggy back, it is win-win.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Excellent advice! I always use OvernightPrints.com for my biz cards. Very high quality cards, and I design them in PS. I'm good with logo and layouts and such, so I can do this by myself, luckily. I like the idea of piggyback cards.

I actually have some new biz cards of my own on order right now from Overnight Prints. They have the new "spot gloss" option, where you can have gloss applied only to your logo or certain text or whatever you design it for. I've got my whole front of card in gloss, as usual, but on the back, a big version of my logo, with gloss only on it, not the whole surface. This also adds texture. Can't wait to get them in the mail. (I also get rounded corners, which makes them really stand out, even to the touch.

Thanks for the advice. I really like that idea, and it's something I can run with, for sure. It will be some cost in the initial investment of cards for different vendors, but it sounds like the results could be huge.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Not a fan of kickbacks of any type. I only recommend vendors that i know, trust and worked with. "Pay to play" is not my thing.... sorry.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    ShepsMom wrote: »
    Not a fan of kickbacks of any type. I only recommend vendors that i know, trust and worked with. "Pay to play" is not my thing.... sorry.

Nothing wrong with rewarding the ones you trust and work with.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Nothing wrong with rewarding the ones you trust and work with.

Yes, by referring back.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    ShulvyShulvy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I hope that those of you in the USA realize that if a vendor recommends you and they are getting a kickback without letting the client know that they are getting a reward then they are violating the FCC rules on testimonials and word of mouth marketing.