Too saturated??

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited February 22, 2011 in Landscapes
These are from bracketed sunset shots in DV. Processed using Photomatix and tweaking in LR afterwards. In a lot of ways these sunsets looked like this, especially the Racetrack shot.

But are these just too saturated? :dunno They are dialed back after blending, but comments would be appreciated.

1192656487_eaMvz-L.jpg

1192658614_mZQip-L.jpg

1192673020_sshom-L.jpg
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Too saturated? There's always debate about art vs reality and how extreme post-processing should be. I'm not going to debate that here. ;) Of the three, the first image, to me, looks the most unnatural - the color cast on the plant in the foreground is simply much stronger than what you'd likely see in nature.

My favorite is #3 - I don't mind the strong colors, even if a bit unnatural, since the scene itself looks like it could be from another world. Great colors, interesting composition. thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 21, 2011
    Good questions, David. I struggle with the same issues myself in processing. The first two do look like they have a bit of reddish cast. I usually try to go for some real blue in the sky to give some context. By that metric, the third one looks pretty good. The larger problem with that one is the halo over the distant mountains in the center.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I like the saturation and the pinkness in the sky, but I think maybe mask out the ground and reduce the reddish cast just a bit on the ground. My eyes tend to grab onto the pinks in the sky, but minimize the effect of those colors on ground objects.
  • cb4photocb4photo Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I also struggle with the same issues myself in processing. I think it also comes down to each photographer has there own style and likes and dislikes.

For my tastes, these do seem a little over the top, but I love the photos!! Especially the last one. thumb.gif
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    It's not too saturated IMO but the color balance is off on the red/magenta. The images all have a pretty strong pinkish hue over the whole photo regardless of the intense color. A couple years ago I shot a sunset behind my house that was the most color intensive sunset I've seen in my life. The clouds and angle of the sun were positioned so perfectly it made the sky look like an infrared lamp. The photo was much more saturated than this sunset, but it still had a good WB and it didn't look off. I'd suggest tweaking the magenta/reds in color balance and see how it pans out.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    CSwinton wrote: »
    Too saturated? There's always debate about art vs reality and how extreme post-processing should be. I'm not going to debate that here. ;) Of the three, the first image, to me, looks the most unnatural - the color cast on the plant in the foreground is simply much stronger than what you'd likely see in nature.

My favorite is #3 - I don't mind the strong colors, even if a bit unnatural, since the scene itself looks like it could be from another world. Great colors, interesting composition. thumb.gif
    kdog wrote: »
    Good questions, David. I struggle with the same issues myself in processing. The first two do look like they have a bit of reddish cast. I usually try to go for some real blue in the sky to give some context. By that metric, the third one looks pretty good. The larger problem with that one is the halo over the distant mountains in the center.
    Missed that halo. headscratch.gif I also see another one in one of the other shots.
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    I like the saturation and the pinkness in the sky, but I think maybe mask out the ground and reduce the reddish cast just a bit on the ground. My eyes tend to grab onto the pinks in the sky, but minimize the effect of those colors on ground objects.
    cb4photo wrote: »
    I also struggle with the same issues myself in processing. I think it also comes down to each photographer has there own style and likes and dislikes.

For my tastes, these do seem a little over the top, but I love the photos!! Especially the last one. thumb.gif
    It's not too saturated IMO but the color balance is off on the red/magenta. The images all have a pretty strong pinkish hue over the whole photo regardless of the intense color. A couple years ago I shot a sunset behind my house that was the most color intensive sunset I've seen in my life. The clouds and angle of the sun were positioned so perfectly it made the sky look like an infrared lamp. The photo was much more saturated than this sunset, but it still had a good WB and it didn't look off. I'd suggest tweaking the magenta/reds in color balance and see how it pans out.

Thanks everyone. I think the consensus is that the magenta haze across these (especially the plants and gray rocks) needs to be toned down, but the overall the skies are OK. I had dropped the luminence and saturation overall (some were just PINK), but not I have to localize the tweaks. I'm sure that the playa in #3 actually did pick up some of the sky color, but my eye at the time didn't see it (that whole deal about how our eyes see white no matter whaat, compensating for the type of light).
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • chrisrarmsteadchrisrarmstead Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2011
    That third picture is a perfect shot. I love the simplicity....

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    I have to localize the tweaks.

You don't have to localize anything; that's making it more work than you need to do. If you use color balance to correct the photo, you can bump up the saturation after it's corrected without the haze returning in the wrong areas since the magenta will no longer be a problem with the photo! The purpose of the balance is to balance all colors together, and not just reduce one color mwink.gif If everything is in balance, it doesn't matter how much you saturate it, it will no longer be slanted toward the magenta hue.

I took one into photoshop... I saturated the picture even more, but since I balanced it prior to saturation, it doesn't have that hazy feel anymore

60790940.jpg
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »

I agree with this. The skies are fine but the pink cast on the ground, rocks. and plants seems unnatural. Throw a cooling filter over these areas to help balance the scene.

Great skies while in DV though. bowdown.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion