Options

Radiopoppers in Basketball

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited February 22, 2011 in Sports
Just my .02 worth regarding wireless flash solutions for basketball.

I had ordered the Radiopoppers JrX before they were released and they kept delaying the release due to tweaking the units so I never actually received my poppers. I started out with some Cactus triggers V4. They did the job, most of the time. But I was having some misfires. Also, the range was just barely there. If I moved to one sideline in the gym, I would sometimes be out of range with the Cactus trigger on the other side of the court. My SB-800 flashes were loose in the hot shoe of the Cactus triggers that were plastic and there was a lot of play. With a lot of action in the bleachers the fans would jump etc, the flash would work itself loose in the hot shoe and I would have to reseat the flash, even when it was locked. Then I broke the hot shoe (just plastic) on the transmitter.

I decided it was time to get the JrX units and give it a try.

The units are built much better than the Cactus. The hot shoes are metal rather than the plastic of the Cactus triggers. I haven't had a misfire yet in two games. The range is much better than the V4. I think the Cactus V5 has a better range and the hot shoes may be metal now.

My Poppers cost me about $275 total with the adapter that is needed to connect to the flash and 2 receivers and that is about 100-150 more than the Cactus but I will gladly pay it to have more consistency and not have to worry about it. The wireless is an afterthought now.
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Just an FYI...

I have the V5 triggers. Metal hot shoes now. Not plastic. They worked on either side of the court.. Haven't had time to play with how far they actually fire indoors, but I'm sure with Regionals/Sectionals coming up, I'll find out.

No misfires.. if it was, it was a recycle issue not a misfire.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm also a fan of Radiopoppers JrX series. Cost effective, solid, and great range. I have 4 receivers and never have any misfires (that I know of). Also excellent customer service. One of my receivers had a problem, and I had a new one in my hands the following day. I'm a very satisfied customer.

Haven't used them in basketball, but have used them in other large area events, and found the range excellent!