Coal Mine Canyon, Arizona.

jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited February 23, 2011 in Landscapes
From our Oct. 2010 trip in the Four Corners area... glad we stopped at a little place I had read about called Coal Mine Canyon. You have to get a Navajo permit to visit, but it's a nice view:

1069267794_AuBoh-X3.jpg

1069269135_rjFAb-X3.jpg

1069268664_zCifM-X3.jpg

1069270120_Az3TU-X3.jpg

1069268181_gCfxZ-X3.jpg

1069269606_23LZa-X3.jpg

Entire gallery:
http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/Travel/Four-Corners-October-2010/14330552_75v54
Steve

http://www.steverucci.com

Use this code to get a discount when joining Smugmug: FmsEHhiPzBxic

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 21, 2011
    Very impressive shooting there, Steve. bowdown.gif

Where did you get your Navajo permits? Last time we were there, we just drove in. ne_nau.gif
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I really like #5. Nice range of color and light in that one.
  • jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Navajo Permit
    kdog wrote: »
    Very impressive shooting there, Steve. bowdown.gif

Where did you get your Navajo permits? Last time we were there, we just drove in. ne_nau.gif

We got the Navajo permit from the Navajo Parks Visitor Center in Cameron, AZ, which is at the junction of Hwy 89 and Hwy 64. It's just a little tiny building. I think it was $10.

When you visit Coal Mine Canyon, it's obvious that you can just drive up. There probably isn't anyone around, or anyone who would question you. I had E-mailed the Navajo Parks ahead of time to say that we were not intending to hike or camp or anything, but just wanted to step out of the car and take a couple of pictures. They said we still needed the permit. I tend to be a rule follower, and felt it was better to respect their rules, than to skip out on the $10 permit.
    Steve

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 21, 2011
    jsrucci wrote: »
    We got the Navajo permit from the Navajo Parks Visitor Center in Cameron, AZ, which is at the junction of Hwy 89 and Hwy 64. It's just a little tiny building. I think it was $10.

When you visit Coal Mine Canyon, it's obvious that you can just drive up. There probably isn't anyone around, or anyone who would question you. I had E-mailed the Navajo Parks ahead of time to say that we were not intending to hike or camp or anything, but just wanted to step out of the car and take a couple of pictures. They said we still needed the permit. I tend to be a rule follower, and felt it was better to respect their rules, than to skip out on the $10 permit.
    Thanks, Steve! Good to know. Getting stopped by the res police would not be pretty I reckon. Again, you have some great compositions here. Very impressed. thumb.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I think these are incredibly beautiful. I especially like 4.
  • Debashis_A_ghoshDebashis_A_ghosh Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    The view is breath taking, the exposure perfect, the colours beautiful and the composition pleasing. This is a stunning series of a gorgeous location.
    Debashis Ghosh

My Flickr

EOS 700D, 100 mm f/2.8 Macro USM,
    EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, EF-50 f/1.8,
    EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I meant to stop here on a trip 2 years ago when I was traveling from Canyon de Chelley to the Petrified Forest, but I ran out of time. These are great pictures.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    looks like another spot to add to my "to-do" list! is this anywhere near Moab?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Wow I've not heard of this place so I'm glad to see it! Again, you had some nice weather when you were there. And I agree, it was good to get the permit even if it seems unnecessary. I'm sure the funds are useful for them (and to the park).
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I like these best of your Monument Valley and Grand Canyon postings. Right balance of shadows and bright sunlight, especially the last 4.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    squirl033 wrote: »
    looks like another spot to add to my "to-do" list! is this anywhere near Moab?

No, it's in Arizona, a few miles east of Moenkopi. A little off the beaten path. I added the coordinates to the picture, so if you check out my map you can see where it is:
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoUser&Data=jsrucci

It's currently picture #8 on there.

You take a paved road to near by and then pull off on to a dirt road that is in decent condition to get to the canyon. We were in a Jeep Liberty, but a sedan could make it. I would only worry if it had rained recently, then you might want to have 4wd just in case.
    Steve

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Nice shots of a very cool place.

Really like #3, #4, and #6. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Really wonderful images....nice job!
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    What a fantastic location. The last three images are my favorites! Nice shots.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery